BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for Pilot Road 2s and note some stores offer the B version, which is explained as either for two up riding or for the 1200RT. Other stores do not list the B version. Does anyone know the difference, and what is the downside of using a non-B version if you sometimes ride two up or fully loaded?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I can't believe it! 2 "B" or not 2 "B", that is the question. :histerica :rotf: :histerica :rotf:

·
Registered
747 Posts
The conventional thinking is that there is little downside if you only sometimes ride double or are fully loaded.
I run the B for all purposes and like its handling but am about to try a non-B version this summer. The B does not seem to deliver longer wear - look like my current one will die at about 7500-8000, a bit better than the Dunlop RoadSmarts I've used and way better than the OEM BT-020. Only downside I've seen to PR-2s is that they are a noisy tire, especially obvious is he front tire noise even when new. For that reason I am trialing next a Pilot Power 2CT front with a PR2 or 3 rear. PPs I've ridden on other bikes are not noisy and have a bit better front end bite. Also the life of a PR2 or 3 isn't needed on the front (mine will go close to 15K and I'm wlling to give up a bunch of that for a quieter tire.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I ended up removing the PR-2 B before it was fully dead- slightly before it got onto the first wear bars at under 7K miles. Reason was the large tread blocks had begun making very loud tire noises when the bike was heeled over (but not in a straight line) and the tire no longer waned to hold a line well when on the boundary between the two compounds in corners. I judged its handling and properties sufficiently degraded that I removed it- so it didn't last as long as previous Dunlop RoadSmarts I'd been using though I prefer the PRs turn in properties.

I now have a couple thousand miles with a Pilot Power CT-2 up front and a PR-2 (non-B) on rear. I like that combo better than a full set of PRs on my 08RT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts