BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could help. My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes. The bike is a 2000 model with standard screen, Iam six foot tall and partner 5ft 7ins,the wind comes past me and hits me in the middle of my back and tries to push me forward,so does anyone know how redirect the airflow?
Thanks Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
hovis said:
My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes.
Ahhh. 'Er indoors had the same complaint. So much so that she refused to get on the bike until it was sorted. She also had a lot of noise from the helmet.

THE CURE​

Replaced the helmet she had with a BMW Sportintegral. Not only did it sort the buffetting, the intercom became more useable at speed.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
Joined
·
8,175 Posts
hovis said:
Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could help. My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes. The bike is a 2000 model with standard screen, Iam six foot tall and partner 5ft 7ins,the wind comes past me and hits me in the middle of my back and tries to push me forward,so does anyone know how redirect the airflow?
Thanks Dave
I solved that issue with a Cee Bailey #2 -2. I am 5'11" and my pillion is 5'9"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Not sure what windshield you have on your bike but I have the 17" euro style. If I raise the windshield up to the maximum height I get the same push from behind. Maybe your windshield is too high. As the previous poster mentioned that he has a -2 Cee Bailey. The is 2" shorter than standard height. Maybe your windshield it too tall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,402 Posts
hovis said:
Hi there, I was wondering if you guys could help. My partner is getting a very bad buffeting on the Lt .We have tried the screen in every position but nothing changes. The bike is a 2000 model with standard screen, Iam six foot tall and partner 5ft 7ins,the wind comes past me and hits me in the middle of my back and tries to push me forward,so does anyone know how redirect the airflow?
Thanks Dave
I have tried the US standard, a Bikescreens Euro cut, a CB with wings, and the last and best one for me and my Sweetpea is the V-Stream The wide top really forces the air flow farther out to the sides. It is very clear, so I can raise it up and look through it without getting dizzy, unlike with the CB. I can peer over the top of it if the weather is perfect, too, unlike the standard. Every model has it's champs, so take all of the advice with a grain of salt.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,568 Posts
What everyone else said. The stock LT windshield isn't the best design, and things can be greatly improved with an aftermarket shield.

I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 8". I tried stock tall, Euro cut, Laminar Lip, Aeroflow, and finally Cee Bailey #2 -2". A few of those worked fine solo, but the CB shield was the only one where my wife saw a noticeable improvement. We still needed it fully up at anything above 70 mph, but she was sitting in a fairly quiet pocket of air even at speed.

Your best option is if you can find some friends with different windscreens and try them out. That isn't always easy, but it sure beats buying them all just to try out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
You guys are huge!

I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'2" we don't have any of this with a stock shield.
I am of German decent...
Maybe the bike is made for me? :rotf: :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,226 Posts
Ajlelectronics said:
THE CURE
Replaced the helmet she had with a BMW Sportintegral. Not only did it sort the buffeting, the intercom became more useable at speed.
Same for my partner. She started getting neck problems from the buffeting with her HJC helmet, bought a Sportintegral on sale and the lighter weight and reduced noise made all the difference for her. I'll probably get one myself when the wallet fills again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
cws said:
Same for my partner. She started getting neck problems from the buffeting with her HJC helmet, bought a Sportintegral on sale and the lighter weight and reduced noise made all the difference for her. I'll probably get one myself when the wallet fills again.
I was informed that I had to, as matching helmets (colour wise) were an important matter. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Pillion Buffeting

FWIW, my bride has been dealing with the buffeting now for almost two years. We had the tall BMW Standard and tried a CE Bailey #2 +2 with wings. She got no relief. I should mention that my bride is 5'10".

At the MOA rally we tried a V Stream shield and she loved it. No more buffeting. We bought it and shipped the old one home as a backup.

It is not the windscreen I would buy for myself if I were riding solo, but it is a good compromise. Bride is happy and so am I.

Ultra LT
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Cee Bailey #2-3 with wings
No buffeting for karen with windscreen up about 1" and me looking over the top........
( 5'-11" and 32" inseam)
I always have the side wings out as the air gets crazy with them folded back...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top