BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I know this is going to sound simple to a lot of you but here goes: I'm removing my seats, arm rests and pillion back rest so I can send it to Ron at Kontour Seat. Everything has been easy until I got to the heating wire on the back rest (the back rest itself was easy). I'm tempted to just cut it and leave it from now on (wife doesn't feel any heat anyway, probably because her riding jacket has a spine protector). But if I could easily unhook that wire I'd do it. Anybody know an easy way to do that?

I've searched the HOW but couldn't find that specific problem already addressed.
Thanks for the help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Its behind the Left rear speaker housing open the trunk and unscrew the little screws holding the speaker in place pop the speaker housing you'll find the wire there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kra961 said:
Its behind the Left rear speaker housing open the trunk and unscrew the little screws holding the speaker in place pop the speaker housing you'll find the wire there.
Kra961
Maybe my 09 is different. I have 7 screws running around the outside, of what I believe is the entire left arm rest. I removed those but it didn't really loosen anything up. I didn't want to force it. I also removed the screws holding the vanity mirror cover but it looked like those wires were for the trunk light above the mirror.

Am I missing it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Na mines an 09 as well the housing will pop out once you get all the screws undone there are a few on the bottom that are a little hidden buggers. its more of a PITA getting it screwed in nice and tight after removing it. I had a devil of a time figuring mine out

There are 12 screws ranging from where the hinge is at to all the way around the housing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AHhhh, I didn't know I had to remove the low ones down by the hinge. I just remove the 7 around the arm rest. Ok, thanks I'll try that. I appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Kra961 said:
Na mines an 09 as well the housing will pop out once you get all the screws undone there are a few on the bottom that are a little hidden buggers. its more of a PITA getting it screwed in nice and tight after removing it. I had a devil of a time figuring mine out

There are 12 screws ranging from where the hinge is at to all the way around the housing
If you wanted to cut the wire and splice it back do you see any problems~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
Bajasteve said:
If you wanted to cut the wire and splice it back do you see any problems~
No real need you can just unplug the wires from the speaker housing along with the back rest heater taking the speaker housing off is about 10 mins of work the screws are all the same its a pretty simple process once you've done it once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Kra961 said:
No real need you can just unplug the wires from the speaker housing along with the back rest heater taking the speaker housing off is about 10 mins of work the screws are all the same its a pretty simple process once you've done it once.
Like you said and to my surprise a little over ten minutes, those bottom ones are something. Job went well thanks' to your help!.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top