BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching old threads hoping to see how some of you more experienced LT riders have your cockpit set-up. I have tracked down only a few...so, I thought I would appeal to the whole forum to show me your pride and joy...(and I do mean your LT's cockpit and nothing else!) :eek:

So, any pictures would be appreciated and yes I have seen the Farkle King's set-up--(whew! I am a simple man and Ari's set-up left my head spinning):confused:

Thanks in advance!!:yeah:

·
Registered
308 Posts
My 05' cockpit left to right: EZ Pass on the left winglet, IPhone ram mount (phone in use for picture), Garmin 376C, compass, Garmin 378, V-1 in Hontoon box with Spot Tracker attached on top, all mounted a BMR shelf and a SunPass on the right winglet. I have the remote and audio interface for the V-1 mounted under the BMR shelf, the GPS's are mounted to the shelf with TourTech locking mounts. Various switches are located near the headlight adjuster.

Everything is right up front, easy to glance at without leaving sight of the road.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:) Thanks for the reply Chuck. A great looking set-up, I noticed that you have auxiliary mirrors mounted on your winglets...what is the brand and how do they mount? Are they drilled through the winglet or clamped on..?

·
Registered
628 Posts
charlieg said:
My 05' cockpit left to right: EZ Pass on the left winglet, IPhone ram mount (phone in use for picture), Garmin 376C, compass, Garmin 378, V-1 in Hontoon box with Spot Tracker attached on top, all mounted a BMR shelf and a SunPass on the right winglet. I have the remote and audio interface for the V-1 mounted under the BMR shelf, the GPS's are mounted to the shelf with TourTech locking mounts. Various switches are located near the headlight adjuster.

Everything is right up front, easy to glance at without leaving sight of the road.

Chuck
1 2 3 4.... 4 GPS devices? :rotf:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wade, a photo of mine is available in any brochure - because it's just as it left the factory. If I wanted a Christmas tree I'd have a Harley or a Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
L to R
MP3 player, GPS, Radar Detecter

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was not very happy with the store bought gps mounts so I make my own out of some old plexiglas. It is a Garmin 760 and mounted it at the perfect height and is rain protected. I used the Garmin mount inside and can be easily released by hidden release button. I leave it on all the time wherever I go. Harold

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Like this ..... tho now a Smartire display under right side and camera mount on top of right side shelf.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Which one tells you how deep the fish are?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the pictures--and even to highroamer...I appreciate the candid opinion. I have a ram mount for my GPS that came with my bike but I prefer the GPS to be in front of me, close to my line of sight... :crazy: ...not on the handlebar.

Looks like a lot of you use some sort of shelf for mounting your devices on...what bolts do they anchor to?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harold-NY said:
I was not very happy with the store bought gps mounts so I make my own out of some old plexiglas.
Harold,

Your mount is sweet :cool: ...for being 'old plexiglas' you did a great job. Was that labor intensive? It looks like factory work to me...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Mine a custom taking the idea of a production shelf, them made so GPS sit lower and shelve surrounds it adding more usable space.
Wind screen side has two support legs that attach to top covers anchor screws. Up front side i placed 2 short carbon fiber rods as anti shake supports ... very stable on the road BTW :D
wrmoss said:
Thanks for all the pictures--and even to highroamer...I appreciate the candid opinion. I have a ram mount for my GPS that came with my bike but I prefer the GPS to be in front of me, close to my line of sight... :crazy: ...not on the handlebar.

Looks like a lot of you use some sort of shelf for mounting your devices on...what bolts do they anchor to?

Attachments

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Harold-NY said:
I was not very happy with the store bought gps mounts so I make my own out of some old plexiglas. It is a Garmin 760 and mounted it at the perfect height and is rain protected. I used the Garmin mount inside and can be easily released by hidden release button. I leave it on all the time wherever I go. Harold
Damn now that is a nice Job !!! Looks like it could be a factory made unit. :yeah:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
motorhead said:
Up front side i placed 2 short carbon fiber rods as anti shake supports ...
Motorhead are those carbon fiber rods hard to come by? Your bike is the second one I've seen with those...

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
saddleman said:
This is my current cockpit.
Finally, with those pics I understand why one would want/need more than one gps unit. :bmw:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I spent about 12 hours making it. 1st I made a cardboard template. Then cut plexiglas to size and used a dremal tool to custom fit edges. I used a thicker piece on the front side so that I could sand it down to make it curve with the dash. I got the paint from Pep boys (Plast-kote truck&sport utility color 1518 Gunmetal) and it matched up very nicely. I will be at the Spring Training Camp April 14, 15, 16. Hope to meet all you great guys and gals there. Harold

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just pieces cut to length from a longer section. Carbon arrow shaft is ideal ;)
A small daub of Shoe goop type adhesive on each end, some dry time and wala ... no shelve shakes.

wrmoss said:
Motorhead are those carbon fiber rods hard to come by? Your bike is the second one I've seen with those...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Harold-NY said:
I spent about 12 hours making it. 1st I made a cardboard template. Then cut plexiglas to size and used a dremal tool to custom fit edges. I used a thicker piece on the front side so that I could sand it down to make it curve with the dash. I got the paint from Pep boys (Plast-kote truck&sport utility color 1518 Gunmetal) and it matched up very nicely. I will be at the Spring Training Camp April 14, 15, 16. Hope to meet all you great guys and gals there. Harold
I've got to say, that's pretty cool!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts