BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my clutch today (with the help of pantherdawg, LAF and a couple other buddies)...still have a long way to go to get 'er all put back together though. LOTS of apparent fluid leaks in multiple places. I'm hoping the Shealey & Neblett types will weigh in with their diagnoses based on the photos below. Fortunately, based on Dave Shealey's advice, I have lots of new seals on hand to swap out.

Here's what the bike looks like about now (except we've since removed the swingarm, cross tube, center stand and tranny and put the rear up on jack stands):

When we pulled the rear drive, there was fluid in the swingarm - is this normal??

Also, I'm not familiar enough with fluids to know for sure, but the fluid that was coming out of the rear drive didn't seem like synthetic gear oil with less than 2,000 miles on it. Does it look okay in this next photo? And is the oil supposed to be able to leak out of the rear drive when it's removed like this?

When we pulled the swingarm and slave cylinder, we found fluid in BOTH locations. This looks like red gear oil, not DOT4 - correct? A local dealer replaced brake fluid, clutch fluid, engine oil, tranny oil and rear drive oil less than 2,000 miles ago. Less than a week later, my clutch started slipping....

So are the tranny seals in both of these locations shot?

After pulling the tranny, we discovered engine oil in the bottom of the intermediate housing (as suspected, since this is what's all over the underside of the oil pan and intermediate housing). Pulling the clutch parts out all the way up to the clutch housing, the oil just started flowing - without even disturbing the main oil seal or O-ring:

Of course, the clutch was trashed. Compare old vs. new:

A lot of brake parts cleaner and wiping down with rags got the reusable parts nice and pretty:

We put the new oil seal and O-ring in - I made up an oil seal seating tool with galvanized pipe and a floor flange, just like the Clymer's manual suggests:

After getting the oil seal in and making sure the inside of the housing was clean and dry (see below) we put the new clutch together with the clean parts and reinstalled.

Tomorrow's task is to start replacing the tranny seals, drill the weep hole, put the new slave cylinder on, and start putting the whole bike back together (with a throttle cable upgrade, air filter & fuel filter change along the way).

One last photo: Two of my throttle intakes are a little varnished. Anything to be concerned about? Should I do anything more than hit it with a shot of throttle body cleaner?

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
It was my privilege to see this yesterday and I am still WAY intimidated by this machine and it's mechanics.

After all the views I was hoping someone would speak to the various fluids we saw. And maybe the cause and effect.

Can anyone help Dave out here on these fluids and where they were found?

All I can say is at 35,999 miles I will be doing this work for me, as I believe this is the answer. By that I mean the weep hole. Even my tech on the 600 service said he has seen a lot of theses and wonders why they don't just put a weep hole there. He said they don't want moisture to enter through it but how long can it stay there with a clutch working and generating heat.

Very interesting meeting Dave and his friends and seeing this procedure in person. The experience and the knowledge is just invaluable.

Thank you Dave for having me over and helping me learn about this wonderful creature.

AGAIN I ask could SOMEONE post up on the fluids as I know Dave is working already and would like to hear thoughts and reasons on these co-mingled fluids.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Schweintechnik said:
Replaced my clutch today (with the help of pantherdawg, LAF and a couple other buddies)...still have a long way to go to get 'er all put back together though. LOTS of apparent fluid leaks in multiple places. I'm hoping the Shealey & Neblett types will weigh in with their diagnoses based on the photos below. Fortunately, based on Dave Shealey's advice, I have lots of new seals on hand to swap out.

Here's what the bike looks like about now (except we've since removed the swingarm, cross tube, center stand and tranny and put the rear up on jack stands):

When we pulled the rear drive, there was fluid in the swingarm - is this normal??

No...it is coming from a leaking seal somewhere. You will have to determine the source and correct the leak before reassembly.

Also, I'm not familiar enough with fluids to know for sure, but the fluid that was coming out of the rear drive didn't seem like synthetic gear oil with less than 2,000 miles on it. Does it look okay in this next photo? And is the oil supposed to be able to leak out of the rear drive when it's removed like this?

The final drive should only leak gear oil if you turn it upside down or lean it over too far. If held in the same position as it is when located on the bike, it should leak NO oil

When we pulled the swingarm and slave cylinder, we found fluid in BOTH locations. This looks like red gear oil, not DOT4 - correct? A local dealer replaced brake fluid, clutch fluid, engine oil, tranny oil and rear drive oil less than 2,000 miles ago. Less than a week later, my clutch started slipping....

So are the tranny seals in both of these locations shot?

YES...replace them all. I sent you more specific instructions for replacing the input shaft seal (the one where the Slave installs) on your other thread.

After pulling the tranny, we discovered engine oil in the bottom of the intermediate housing (as suspected, since this is what's all over the underside of the oil pan and intermediate housing). Pulling the clutch parts out all the way up to the clutch housing, the oil just started flowing - without even disturbing the main oil seal or O-ring:

Of course, the clutch was trashed. Compare old vs. new:

A lot of brake parts cleaner and wiping down with rags got the reusable parts nice and pretty:

We put the new oil seal and O-ring in - I made up an oil seal seating tool with galvanized pipe and a floor flange, just like the Clymer's manual suggests:

After getting the oil seal in and making sure the inside of the housing was clean and dry (see below) we put the new clutch together with the clean parts and reinstalled.

Tomorrow's task is to start replacing the tranny seals, drill the weep hole, put the new slave cylinder on, and start putting the whole bike back together (with a throttle cable upgrade, air filter & fuel filter change along the way).

One last photo: Two of my throttle intakes are a little varnished. Anything to be concerned about? Should I do anything more than hit it with a shot of throttle body cleaner?

Do that and I think you will be fine.

Answers are above (bold type) under each corresponding question. Great job so far! Keep up the great work! Proud of 'ya!

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Fluid in Swingarm

Man, those pics bring back memories........ :eek: ....I had a little fluid in the swingarm as well. I replaced ALL the seals in the tranny. Sockets make great drivers for seals. I use them at the shop all the time.
My clutch didn't look as bad as that. You must have driven it a ways while slipping. I eased mine home 8 miles and it was still burned and coming apart. I'll NEVER do it on the ground again. My back still hurts!
I also wish I had done the fuel filter while I had it apart..........but...... :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Those pics are awesome! Just like I was there. Oh yeah, I was :rotf:
OK, riding yet? If not, you will be soon. Great job man, ( hats off ) Very big project to tackle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts