BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested, I thought I would post a few pictures of my bike in it's current state! :( I am just about to get into the transmission and clutch area to replace the clutch plate! Wow, this is what I call FUN!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sort of sad to see the ol' bike all strung up like that...

That wouldn't by chance be the muffin pan your wife has been looking for that I see in the foreground? ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure Is!!!

Muffin pans are great for storing parts, bolts, etc and not getting them mixed up! I am also putting particular bolts in zip bags and zip tying them to the part they fit! For an old guy like me, the memory is the first thing to go!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Muffin pans are great for storing parts, bolts, etc and not getting them mixed up! I am also putting particular bolts in zip bags and zip tying them to the part they fit! For an old guy like me, the memory is the first thing to go!
Yep, I know all about that. There are three things that go first when you get older, first the memory, and then ------------------------------------------. Darn, I cannot remember the other two.:confused:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Jack, you got the big kahunna's award for attempting a job like that! I'm rootin for ya brother...

My My.... the damage that is caused by one stupid clutch slave going bad!!!!!
There's a lesson here for those to bite the weep hole bullit...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bet you a coke...

I'll bet you a coke that I won't either!!! I will be VERY methodical! One thing about this bike is, there are no "over the shoulder" parts! (Besides, I'm video taping a lot of the segments of the work. And guess what...I haven't even gotten to the good part yet...INTERNALS!!!! ;)

Left over screws are NOT an option!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
I'm a zip-loc and digital photo guy myself ... Plus this site is a good safety net as well....

We're all pullin' for you Pastor!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Teardown

Jack

Nice colour of bike and you have a great place to work - sure beats rolling around the floor trying to reach everything. I looked at the first picture and thought nicely tied down - but how is he going to get the centrestand off?

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hello Jack,
Just a quick thanks for taking the time to post and update this job.
It is a great help to see what the repair books often only refer to.
Good luck on a successful repair. Denny

·
Registered
607 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Just don't forget where you put the muffin pan and ziplock bags!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Jack needed a jack

His trusty local assistant is bringing him the Handy scissor jack from his garage!

grahamw said:
Jack

Nice colour of bike and you have a great place to work - sure beats rolling around the floor trying to reach everything. I looked at the first picture and thought nicely tied down - but how is he going to get the centrestand off?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's how to get the centerstand off...

grahamw said:
Jack

To remove the centerstand, I will block the engine securely so it will not drop when loosened from the frame. I will then use a scissor jack underneath the rear frame section to raise the frame away from the engine just enough (about four inches) to get the transmission and clutch out from the rear. The centerstand will be removed at this point. I also have a couple of friends who are planning to help when it gets to that point. Mike and Wes...you guys better be ready in about a week or so! The Saga continues...more photos in a few days...waiting for parts. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
visit

hi jack. I took the bike for a ride. i stopped by your place monday about 1.30 pm to look at the poor girl all tore apart. no one home.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am impressed... That is a major tear down underway! Good luck...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
That is a lotta work just for a little slave cylinder failure, but you're making the best of it by sharing your experience with all of the folks "here"

You're timing is pretty good also and its keeping you outta trouble and "occupied" untill it gets nice out again.
I had "the opportunity" to take my 02 down that far, but I didn't hafta worry about losing any screws or putting her back together which is always a little trickier than taking things apart :)
Now I've sold most of the bigger stuff but I've got a lotta little bits and pieces "left over" from my old 02, if you are in need of something send me a PM.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Centrestand off

Jack said 'to raise the frame '

Ahhh there is the difference - I was working on my own and kept the frame steady and dropped the engine using a trolley jack. Another 2 options are to use an engine hoist to lift the back of the bike or as David Shealey did place a length of wood under the panniers and support each end with axle stands or sawhorses (he did post a link that I cannot remember). If you keep the supports on the ground instead of the lift you can then drop the lift (gently) which would be the same as lifting the back end - keep a trolley jack under the engine. As long as the back of the engine is higher than the front then the centrestand legs will not be digging into the lift.

Top tip - especially for installing - go to your local Home Depot and get a couple of lengths of threaded rod the same size as the bolts that hold the gear box in which I am pretty sure is 8mm. Cut to required length and let them guide the box back on.

Enjoy - it is a royal pain in the neck but a great sense of achievement when it is done.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts