BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture looking down into the battery compartment? I remember seeing one that was used to locate the brown wire, but after much searching, no luck. There's a LOT of info on that brown wire! I just got my bike back from the dealer, but it appears some items have been missed, the battery cover is missing, and there is a strange electrical component which is just hanging into the compartment, near the rear shock adjuster that I don't remember seeing before - it kinda looks like a blinker relay.
I'm trying to figure out where that goes so it doesn't drop down and hang by it's wires in the bottom of the bike.

Thanks for any help!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
That "strange electrical component" just dangling may be the connector for the GT-1 (BMW's diag computer). There should be a caddy nearby that it snaps into. Just a guess...

I'll try to dig up a picture of the mystery and elusive Brown wire. It's taped to the bottom of the right frame-rail that runs right next to the battery. I suggest installing a simple switch on it so you can experiment with it in both positions. Just remember to shut the bike OFF before switching it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey, Kevin, I can't remember what year your bike is. The only reason I'm bringing it up is that early bikes, like my '99, did not have the brown wire. When I first got my bike and read about the brown wire I searched for hours (well, not consecutive hours, I don't have that long an attention span), here there and everywhere. If you have one, Joe's pic will show you where.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks both you guys rock! I forgot about searching the archives, but those are the pics I remember seeing. See that grey knob in the first pic? That's what is hanging free. It looks like it is in the pic too, but I don't remember ever seeing it before now. I'm sure it has to go somewhere, I'll have to take a close look tomorrow to see where it goes.
I put on about 200miles today close to home, (just in case) and she ran Greeeat! Feels gooooood to be back in the saddle! Bill, I think Jim and I may try to hook up tomorrow, although I'm not sure. If you want, PM me and I'll give you my cell if you're into riding.

Kevin

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Kevin,

In the first picture the diagnostic port IS in its retaining clip. It is a snap in semi-circle retainer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts