BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
R1250RT LE, F800GT, 1960 Land Rover, 2010 Range Rover
170 Posts
I do believe that this is what BMW really wanted the 2019 to be, but all the pieces weren't ready! ... I had not ordered the 2020 1250RT back in February as I had intended!
If you are quick you may stil be able to order one of the last "real dashboard" R1250RTs and avoid the horrid TFT on the 2021 ones!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not a very creative solution for the TFT display. It looks like it's just something that got stuck on the bike rather than integrated into it. Realizing that the information is more important than the appearance, I still wouldn't like looking at that all day. I'm trying to think if there's anything else on the RT that is visible and has such straight lines or a square or rectangular shape.
Edit:
Oh...wait! I got it! My license plate!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Certainly has a very angry front end.
I will wait for feedback on what those headlight units are really like (once the initial 'ooh new bike' euphoria wears off).
Then there is the seat, the screen, the footpegs, the bars.
I will wait a little longer to see what the BMW Beta testers discover (like they are still doing with the Shiftcam brakes).

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
448 Posts
If I was a betting man, I'll bet the same TFT ends up on the K1600 as well. It should need the same setup.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The 2021 K1600 have already been announced. No upgrade this time but with BMW you never know, they do launch new bikes mid year.

Regarding the TFT, I've heard a silly rumour that you could play Youtube videos on it. Wouldn't it be nice to pass your Youtube mechanics certification directly on the bike? :p;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mercedes-Benz went with the stand-alone iPad looking display for a few years but has now reintegrated this display into a streamlined dash. I would prefer that to this, "Hey, where should we stick this piece" approach.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I liked the TFT on my GSA, but it wasn't without issues, especially the SatNav /phone interface & pairin, integrating the Nav might sort that.
The only reason I see to upgrade to this from my '17 RT is better integration of the phone/ipod/satellite radio/helmet. Also, I don't like having to remove Nav VI from the bike. It should be secure and replaceable. I've learned to live with my system, but the phone is not reliable at all and the sat radio has terrible quality. I didn't renew it...and I really like it in my car. I use an iPod for music through a blutooth helmet thing. I skip the phone, radio and all the rest because it just doesn't work or sound well.

Now...we have no knowledge that this bike will have any of those things fixed. I actually think my bike looks better than these, but if the electronics worked seamlessly, I'd probably upgrade. BMW needs to work more on function and maybe take a break from constant style changes. The RT with angel eyes is really a good design that just needs some homework finished on it.

Asside from all the geegaws...does this actually WORK any better? I've yet to ride any 1250. Is this one improved over the 2020 engines?

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
69 Posts
Asside from all the geegaws...does this actually WORK any better? I've yet to ride any 1250. Is this one improved over the 2020 engines?
I'm new to BMW's, but I can't imagine that conformance with the more strict EU5 emission standard (vs EU4 conformance in the 2020 R1250RT) will be a plus from an engine performance standpoint.

Larry

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm new to BMW's, but I can't imagine that conformance with the more strict EU5 emission standard (vs EU4 conformance in the 2020 R1250RT) will be a plus from an engine performance standpoint.

Larry
The shift-cam technology on the R1250 motors was driven by the tougher EU emission standards. The 2019 and 2020 model 1250s are all EU5 compliant, but the 2021 1250s are the first to be officially "certified". In this case, the stricter emission standards have resulted in a superior engine. A significant increase in torque across the entire rev range as well as a bump in HP across the entire rev range. Peak horsepower is also increased and it's more than just the increase in displacement. Oh, and it gets better gas mileage than the 1200 LC it has replaced.

Here is one of the best articles I have come across explaining the benefits of the shift cam variable valve list/timing. And were it not for EU5, it may not have ever seen the light of day. The article was written before anyone outside of BMW ever rode one. Keven Cameron really nailed how the new motor would be.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
69 Posts
Here is one of the best articles I have come across explaining the benefits of the shift cam variable valve list/timing. And were it not for EU5, it may not have ever seen the light of day. The article was written before anyone outside of BMW ever rode one. Keven Cameron really nailed how the new motor would be.

That's a great article and interesting insight Scott. I had seen that the 2020 bikes only claimed EU4 and am wondering what, if any, changes have taken place in the engine (knock sensors, OBDII sensor interface, etc.) which allow the emission certification to be life-long as opposed to 20,000 km.

Larry

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a great article and interesting insight Scott. I had seen that the 2020 bikes only claimed EU4 and am wondering what, if any, changes have taken place in the engine (knock sensors, OBDII sensor interface, etc.) which allow the emission certification to be life-long as opposed to 20,000 km.

Larry
Hey Larry. As far as I know there are no mechanical differences between the 2019-2020 and 2021 R1250 motors. My bike has OBDII (as did the 2018 1200s), O2/exhaust sensor aft of the cat for self diagnosis, and knock sensors. So why are the 2019-2020 1250s not certified EU5? I really don't know. I think it's a purely regulatory thing that costs more money so BMW may have opted to wait to get the bikes certified only when it became mandatory. What I do know is BMW claimed the 1250 GS and RT were EU5 "Compliant" in the press release when the bikes were introduced in Sept 2018.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The TFT looks like the same 10" screen out of my BMW i3 car (and probably other models). They probably just used something they already had.

View attachment 171580
I agree... I have an i3, and was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the pictures... But I was thinking it looked more like my driver display more than my middle display.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts