BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Maybe I'm the only one, but that TFT screen looks like it was designed separately from the bike. To me it looks like they had a bike, had a display and just stuck them together.
I agree w/ that analysis. They clearly wanted to avoid a wholesale redesign of the cockpit and it shows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I watched the intro video and they showed a rather large smart phone laying in the cubby horizontally, which would be necessary for induction charging. Looked like a lot of room in there. Love the fan cooling for the phone compartment!

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
69 Posts
I like the ACC feature, at least for those of us who don't lave split on long commutes.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
440 Posts
I might have to see about that cubby with charging. I wonder if I can swap out mine and put the new one in. I'm betting it'll fit right in. Only question is the new speaker grill, if the cubby still slips under that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'll have to see the TFT in person to make a final decision. But from pictures, I don't have a problem with it.
German page states LED headlights are adaptive. Front radar control for adaptive cruise control.
They also make reference to storing your smartphone in a compartment for splash protection and is fan cooled. So must be a new cubby. The picture is a bit close up. But the USB part is elevated. With the new speaker config, maybe it is deeper?
I agree the TFT looks like an add on, this is somewhat similar to recent car design where you have this display on top of the dashboard. I'll wait until I see it in real life.

I do however like the features available on the display.

I rented a GS with TFT last year. If the service due icon bothers you, don't buy a GS with TFT. You get an annoying large splash screen anytime you start the and service is due. I hope the same doesn't happen on this new RT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, that TFT is the crappiest integration into a bike since Suzuki put a cylindrical dash and ball-shaped indicators on its RE5. It looks like an afterthought.
I had a friend who was the BEST club racer in California in 1977, Gordie Seims, and he had an RE5 with all the strange round stuff. Said he bought it because he did his own maintenance and could pull the engine or transmission separately. but what surprised him, was that over ONE YEAR of ownership, he had put more than 35,000 miles on it because it was so easy to live with. (Dead smooth engine and probably the best handling Suzuki at the time I met him. the frame designer when on to design the GS 750 and GS1000 Suzukis.) Yes the first year RE5 was extra strange and the next year was only slightly strange, but it was a very good bike for a rotary engine.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
48 Posts
Ok, this model will now be known as the Led Head!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Truly LOL at that one Tony, you have won the internet for today!

Reactions: bushbikie

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
I do believe that this is what BMW really wanted the 2019 to be, but all the pieces weren't ready! The more I read about it, the more that I like it, and there certainly enough new features here to justify upgrading from the 1200 wetheads! I am very lucky that I had not ordered the 2020 1250RT back in February as I had intended!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I do believe that this is what BMW really wanted the 2019 to be, but all the pieces weren't ready! The more I read about it, the more that I like it, and there certainly enough new features here to justify upgrading from the 1200 wetheads! I am very lucky that I had not ordered the 2020 1250RT back in February as I had intended!
Same here. Almost upgraded my 2013 RT for a 2020. This will definitely be worth the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why is the red line at 5,500 rpm? Or am I seeing that wrong?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why is the red line at 5,500 rpm? Or am I seeing that wrong?
I think the redline on the TFTs moves depending on how fast the bikes moving or what gear you're in? Someone with another Bimmer with a TFT screen will swoop in and corroborate/correct my comment, I'm sure.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think the redline on the TFTs moves depending on how fast the bikes moving or what gear you're in? Someone with another Bimmer with a TFT screen will swoop in and corroborate/correct my comment, I'm sure.
I read that (or heard it in a review video). The redline starts low and moves up as the engine warms up.

·
Registered
2013 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
15 Posts
The TFT looks like the same 10" screen out of my BMW i3 car (and probably other models). They probably just used something they already had.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts