BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

First of all, let me thank Gilles for lending me his RKA bags. It's helped out so much on this trip!

I'm out here in CT and am enjoying Easter with the family and riding the new LT around! What a beautiful bike. 1999 with 23,005 miles. 4 sets of keys and all the manuals/paperwork, tools, even helmet cord. Paperwork indicates it was serviced regularly at the same dealership I bought my FJR at, who I like a trust. A couple of observations:

A lot of tupperware rattle at idle and first clutch engagement. Tracked it down to the middle of the lower fairing in the front. The middle vibrates against a hose in the front of the engine. Figure I'll put some foam in there to separate and I'll be all set.

One the highway, there's a lot of noise coming from the front tire once a lean is initiated. I've heard this on the FJR but it's not as loud. It's either the tires or bearings. I'm thinking/hoping tires and I don't need to worry about it. Any thoughts?

There is a slight problem with the LCD screen where it will show "wwwwww" or "mmmmmm" after I turn the bike off or at first start up. Seems to be linked to the cold and has been going away pretty quickly.

Installed J-Pegs which came with the bike. Took a little while to understand the ball that recesses into wing structure. One of the balls was not there and was actually fallen into the hole in the PJeg itself. On the other side it was still recessed in the hold on the wing structure. Very lucky these didn't get lost!

Bringing it to the dealer to get the oil changed and a quick look over before I leave Tuesday back to CA. Here's my planned route:

Click here to see route!

And some pictures I took today of the LT:

Would love to meet people along the way but this is unfortunately a transportation trip and I don't have a ton of extra time. Looking forward to being a part of this community.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Beautiful ride. Congratulations! The front tire noise is very common with the Metzlers. It really is a "They all do it" situation. Ride safe and have a great trip.

Loren

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Welcome aboard the LT asylum. Everything you mention aligns with common issues previously reported on this site. Do a search... and you will be surprised by how many threads address your issue(s)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Michael, Congrats on the new ride, I do like that maroon color! Tire noise, common, varies with different tires, or as tires wear...I have a 2000 LT, and my LCD display does the same thing, at first I looked at it and wondered if there was some problem.....now, I don't even give it a second thought...why should I? It doesn't affect the radio, or the display when the radio is on...no biggie. As far as tupperware buzz, I thought my bike buzzed when I got it, but now I don't even hear it, got my TUNES blasting either on the speakers, or my headset....can't hear any buzzing at all. Enjoy your ride across America my friend!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
The tire noise is likely to be normal. As tires wear they tend to get noisier too. You should just check the tread depth to see how worn they are (in the photos they look pretty good) just in case, but likely it's normal noise. I've also had that noise on my Honda VTX1800 cruiser on the Metz tires and Avons as they wore.

Nice bike - enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tire noise is normal as my 99 makes it with new tires if on a coarse surface.

Ditto on the fairing vibrations........its what makes my wife say it sounds like a scooter.

Really like the colour,

My 99 also has 24000miles, that I purchased a year ago with 17000.

Good luck,

·
Registered
498 Posts
AWESOME! That is the same bike that I bought as my first LT. Welcome to the group, enjoy the ride!

ALSO, if you need anything during the trip for the bike, let me know, I''m near FT. Worth, Texas. I have plenty of tools, a BMW dealer nearby, and a host of GREAT members around the DFW Metroplex..... Sending a PM with my phone contact, in case...
Ride safe!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Welcome aboard Michael! what everyone has already said about the tire noise and tupperware is spot on. Nice Canyon Red Bike! Plus someone took the time to install what looks like a Harley Trunk Rack on her for ya. Probably a Paul Seyeigh (Sp?) install. Like others have said, check out the threads o the forum here for all kinds of info on the LT.

Ride safe!

John

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone! I'm at the dealer now getting her checked out. They found a fork seal leak that I'm gonna have them take care of. Don't want oil on the brakes! Doesn't sound as expensive as when I had the FJR seals done. Having them replace both since they are that far into it anyways.

I think the rack is a z-technik.

They are also going to do rear diff fluid, oil, pull the software code for me, and print out detailed service history. It's been serviced here regularly since new.

Gonna be an expensive visit.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
Hi Mike! :wave
My first LT was also a 99 Canyon Red. I am sure you will enjoy your LT as you ride back to CA. It is literally a miles eating machine!
No concerns about the tire howling:normal!
And yes there is supposed to be a strip of foam on the top of the lower fairing. Easy fix!
Have a fun and safe ride home, and don't forget to write! ;) (I love road trips! :D).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still at the dealer. Ironically, this bike was bought new from this dealer, regularly maintained here and the dealer is the same that I bought my FJR from 5 years ago. They are good people here.

Will keep this thread up to date with my progress. Tomorrow is day 1 and will get to DC where I have family. Day two will be as long as I can handle... Looking at Arkansas.

Thank you everyone offering help!

Thanks again Gilles for lending me the bags. I owe ya a drink.

·
Registered
719 Posts
mcydrake said:
Still at the dealer. Ironically, this bike was bought new from this dealer, regularly maintained here and the dealer is the same that I bought my FJR from 5 years ago. They are good people here.

Will keep this thread up to date with my progress. Tomorrow is day 1 and will get to DC where I have family. Day two will be as long as I can handle... Looking at Arkansas.

Thank you everyone offering help!

Thanks again Gilles for lending me the bags. I owe ya a drink.
where in ct. are you? what dealer are you at?

·
Registered
719 Posts
mcydrake said:
Hello all!

First of all, let me thank Gilles for lending me his RKA bags. It's helped out so much on this trip!

I'm out here in CT and am enjoying Easter with the family and riding the new LT around! What a beautiful bike. 1999 with 23,005 miles. 4 sets of keys and all the manuals/paperwork, tools, even helmet cord. Paperwork indicates it was serviced regularly at the same dealership I bought my FJR at, who I like a trust. A couple of observations:

A lot of tupperware rattle at idle and first clutch engagement. Tracked it down to the middle of the lower fairing in the front. The middle vibrates against a hose in the front of the engine. Figure I'll put some foam in there to separate and I'll be all set.

One the highway, there's a lot of noise coming from the front tire once a lean is initiated. I've heard this on the FJR but it's not as loud. It's either the tires or bearings. I'm thinking/hoping tires and I don't need to worry about it. Any thoughts?

There is a slight problem with the LCD screen where it will show "wwwwww" or "mmmmmm" after I turn the bike off or at first start up. Seems to be linked to the cold and has been going away pretty quickly.

Installed J-Pegs which came with the bike. Took a little while to understand the ball that recesses into wing structure. One of the balls was not there and was actually fallen into the hole in the PJeg itself. On the other side it was still recessed in the hold on the wing structure. Very lucky these didn't get lost!

Bringing it to the dealer to get the oil changed and a quick look over before I leave Tuesday back to CA. Here's my planned route:

Click here to see route!

And some pictures I took today of the LT:

Would love to meet people along the way but this is unfortunately a transportation trip and I don't have a ton of extra time. Looking forward to being a part of this community.
if your going to stay on I-95 into NY when you go over the george washington bridge follow the signs for I-78, stay on I-78 till you see I-81 in harrisburg pa,,,,youll thank me later lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow, what a nice looking LT you got there. I wish you the best on your trip. If you want to avoid about $10 - $15 in tolls on the New Jersey Turnpike, get off at the 195 WEST exit on the turnpike and get on 295 SOUTH. It actually is very easy to do.

On the front tire, see how much tread you have left -- if it is marginal, replace it. You will be surprised what a new set of tires will do for the bike. I bought my bike w/ 8600 or so miles and replaced the original tires. This was the single best thing I did to the bike.

I also put in dyna beads to the front and back tires. This seemed to help. The only downside of dynabeads will be fixing a flat with a repair kit (the one you stick in a rubber looking worm) as the beads may "hit" the rubber insert.

Ride safe. I am directly east of Philly (southern NJ side) should you need any type of emergency repair or help.

Glenn

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK. First - Welcome aboard. Love the bike and the color.
Second - am I adding this up right and you are planning around 16hrs of riding and about a 1000 miles a day?

I've been on a couple lengthy trips, but you my friend (and others I'm sure here) are over the top.

Keep us updated and mostly be safe.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome... Nice ride, but the New England seaside views and architecture look great!

Have a safe ride back to SoCal. If you pass through or near the D/FW area, you have a place to shower, rest, sleep, and/or do repairs or maint. LIft, plenty of tools if needed.

Oh, and watch that Gilles fellow. Mom may like him better than me, but... :histerica
Kidding aside, he is MBFAM and is a great guy who would do anything to help out (like many of the other members of this site).

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
TimmyT4Bass said:
OK. First - Welcome aboard. Love the bike and the color.
Second - am I adding this up right and you are planning around 16hrs of riding and about a 1000 miles a day?

I've been on a couple lengthy trips, but you my friend (and others I'm sure here) are over the top.

Keep us updated and mostly be safe.
Timmy, Timmy, Timmy... Those times and miles are not atypical for folks around here. East side of D/FW to Tucson non-stop except for fuel... in less time. :dance:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Welcome... Nice ride, but the New England seaside views and architecture look great!

Have a safe ride back to SoCal. If you pass through or near the D/FW area, you have a place to shower, rest, sleep, and/or do repairs or maint. LIft, plenty of tools if needed.

Oh, and watch that Gilles fellow. Mom may like him better than me, but... :histerica
Kidding aside, he is MBFAM and is a great guy who would do anything to help out (like many of the other members of this site).
Yes Mike, if you need someone with tools in triplicates then Tony is the right guy! :D
He is a heck of a guy too, so don't hesitate to call upon him if you need anything; he'll be there for you!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,176 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Timmy, Timmy, Timmy... Those times and miles are not atypical for folks around here. East side of D/FW to Tucson non-stop except for fuel... in less time. :dance:
Yes, but you were younger then... :rotf:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I grew up and my family still is in Stonington CT. The dealer I've spoken so highly of is Razees in North Kingston, RI. Great guys. Surprised how cheap my service was today. Diff Fluid, Engine Oil, Two new Fork seals, and a once good look over ended up being about $350. They also gave me a computer print out of my Motronic software and gave me a complete service history printout of the bike since new. Great guys!

As for my route... I stay away from the George Washing Bridge entirely. I went to school in FL so have done this trip many times. I take 95 to 287, over the Tappan Zee Bridge. Then take the Garden State south to the Jersey Turnpike. I'm gonna try Glenn's advice and hop on the 295 via 195 around Trenton. Never hurts to save a couple bucks. Well that is unless I get lost but I think I got this!

The 81 south route recommended is tempting to avoid the tristate mess but since I'm going to DC first, I think I'll stick to the shorter, for familiar route.

Timmy, Not sure I posted how long I plan on taking to get to CA. By my calculations I'll be riding about 3200 miles and I have work on Monday (can't play forever). I leave tomorrow so I have 5 days to get home. 3200 Miles / 5 Days = 640 Miles/Day. That being said, first day is a short day to DC, second day is going to be my challenge day. I want to get as far as the bike will take me and my mind will stay awake for. My record, I BELIEVE is about 900 on the FJR. I want to go for broke and make a 1k day on the LT. I would like to stay a day in TX so I may take you guys up out there and give you a ring!

Had a little hiccup today where the LT didn't start on first try but I'm calling it a fluke for now since it only happened once and I'm still learning techniques of operating this machine. Also I noticed the brakes kinda squeak when going ~50 MPH and OFF the brakes. When I let the front brakes drag even the smallest bit, it goes away. Maybe need lube on the pins. Not sure, not concerned, maybe look at it with friends in TX since they are offering :)

I'll keep everyone up to date with my progress and this thread will be the first to know if I run into any problems!

Funny story about the color of this bike. I've owned a Jaguar XJS, Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki Madura and have an FJR and an S10. All about this same color. It's how I know a vehicle purchase is meant to be! (This didn't happen on PURPOSE, just all a very big coincidence.)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts