BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Executive overview:

Picked up new bike, rode 150 miles, it rained, we both got wet and got home safely.....

Long Story.......

The new baby came home in style…..

I picked her up this morning and after going over all of the paperwork, it was time to put a few miles on her. About 150 miles later and less than 3 miles from the house, the skies just opened up. I could see rain all around and I had been dodging and avoiding little thunderstorms for several hours. It wasen't’t until I was almost home that the “Grey Ghost” got her first bath.

I like the new name because when I ride, I pretend that I’m invisible.

The first real ride was actually better than the demo I remembered and that was a nice surprise. When I did my test ride I kept the bike in the RAIN mode and for me that was a mistake. I really prefer the DYNAMIC ride. It is much more responsive and allows me to use the engine at slow speeds with high RPMS as a brake. That did not work as well in the RAIN mode. As per the computer, I was getting almost 40 MPG throughout my initial ride. I’m keeping the bike below 4,000RPMS for the first 200 miles and below 5,000 for the next 400.

For me, there are a lot of really nice advantages over the K1200LT and as I get more comfortable and really begin to understand how she wants to be ridden, I know I’ll like the performance even better. There are so many different controls and tweaks to learn that I didn't’t even turn on the radio or set up the satellite radio. I want to get much more familiar with every thing else first.

From other activities, I’ve learned to try and change as few things as possible at a time to program or re-program muscle memory. I didn’t want to get distracted by audio or the GPS.

Just a little nice thing: I was amazed at how easy it is to remove the side and top cases. WOW, Easy and quick. Now I just need to figure how to disconnect the power cord from the seat!

A few problems/challenges/things I need to either work on or try to change:

I’m going to need to change is the seat or my leg position. I’m not sure if the taller seat would help, but I do want to try it. My bike came with the standard seat and I kept feeling like I wanted to stretch back about 2 inches. It almost seems that if I could have carved about 2” from the back of my seat and taken the space from the passenger’s seat, I would have been more comfortable.

I also noticed more heat than I remember from the K1200LT on my left leg/ankle area. Seemed excessive, but it was 95 outside before the rains came. The bike also pulled slightly to the left if I took my hands odd of the handlebars. I don’t ride that way, but it could possible lead to a problem?

Seemed like the rain protection was a little better on the K1200LT.

So after riding almost 150 miles and then getting thoroughly soaked I pulled into the driveway and realized that I had forgotten my house key or the garage remote! Parked the Grey Ghost in the driveway, walked next door to get a spare key from the neighbor and then finally got the new bike and me under cover.

The next few days are pretty busy at the aquarium, but I do plan to get in some serious riding because Wednesday morning, she is scheduled for her first fluid service and change.

I ramble and Life moves on……

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Dano
Congratulations........
I know you'll be making many "just checking" trips into the garage.........
Enjoy...........

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STARFIGHTER said:
Dano
Congratulations........
I know you'll be making many "just checking" trips into the garage.........
Enjoy...........
I'm sorry....... What did you say? I was out in the guarage....... wiping her down.. Something about ridden hard and not wanting to put her to bed wet!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Dano the topcase plug is under the seat. Just raise the seat & you'll see a round twist type plug like on the LT. It is at the very back. Yes there is heat on the left side just slide your foot to the outside end of the peg & it goes away. Wait till you ride the bike without the side & top cases. You thought the LT was different without the topcase. You will think you have 2 completely different bikes. I too needed more leg room with the low seat. I got an Airhawk seat cushion & it made all the difference in the world.
I can still flatfoot the bike in 1 up mode but not in 2 up as the bike raises up an inch or so. It does feel strange to be setting there & have the bike raise up under you. It seams like most of the K1600 pull a little to the left as per a poll on the K1600 forum. I have not tried to see if mine does yet. I have a little over 1100 miles so far & I'm still grinning like a kid at Christmas. :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Two Words: Dog. Meat. :D

Oops; does that make me seem jealous?? :rolleyes:

Enjoy the nice new ride!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Dan,

Congrats on the new ride, good to see your longer than planned wait is over.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dan your bike really looks great. It would look better in my driveway though. #689 Silver GTL with high seat have vin but still waiting. Leaving for Nova Scotia on the 27th. Guess I will still be on the 06 LT. All right enough venting. Really Dan enjoy. :dance:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Congrats Dan - have fun.

I notice that you have the GT windshield on your bike - how did you manage that? I'm thinking I would very much prefer the GT over the GTL, I don't like looking through the windshield when I raise it up for highway riding.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Raaze12 said:
Congrats Dan - have fun.

I notice that you have the GT windshield on your bike - how did you manage that? I'm thinking I would very much prefer the GT over the GTL, I don't like looking through the windshield when I raise it up for highway riding.
I don't know! Must have been a mistake. Are you sure? Seems like the same windshield was on the demo too.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
DanDiver said:
I don't know! Must have been a mistake. Are you sure? Seems like the same windshield was on the demo too.
Yep that is the GT. The GTL rounds up at the top & is wider.
See here

·
Registered
519 Posts
Whoo Hooo Dano!!! Congrats and welcome to the "perma-grin" club!!!

She looks good....even wet!!!

I think I know what you will be doing this weekend!!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, that thing about the windshield is wild! You are right. Mine has the cutouts on the side.

Wonder how that happened? It must have come from the factory like that because the dealer doesn't have a GT in stock.

Now the question is whether or not I keep it or go back to the dealer for a swap. Just wondering which one is the best. I'll be back on Wednesday for my first service.

I wonder why BMW didn't use the same windshield on both models?

The demo that I rode had the same one on it too.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Congrats Dan. Great looking bike

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
DanDiver said:
Hey, that thing about the windshield is wild! You are right. Mine has the cutouts on the side.

Wonder how that happened? It must have come from the factory like that because the dealer doesn't have a GT in stock.

Now the question is whether or not I keep it or go back to the dealer for a swap. Just wondering which one is the best. I'll be back on Wednesday for my first service.

I wonder why BMW didn't use the same windshield on both models?

The demo that I rode had the same one on it too.
Dan, the demo rides I did in Ft Myers had the same winshield as yours, not rounded. Who knows, maybe a Fl thing...

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Hey, Dan. Glad to see you are finally bikeful (opposite of bikeless?) again. Those days at the aquarium will be the longest days you ever put in. No playing hooky! Dave and I will come down as soon as the heatwave is over and take it apart for you. We won't guarantee getting it back together as good as it is now, but, hey, what's a few leftover parts between friends, huh? :histerica

Be sure and take good notes. We'll be expecting complete ride reports. Have fun and be safe out there. :thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dano
Congratulations........
Glad that you are back on two wheels.
By the way the GTL's that were here all had the same windshield as on yours. There were 12 of them on the BMW demo truck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dan,
Congratulations. Enjoy. Keep us advised of what's happening. And don't forget to tell us how you like the horn. :wave

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Congrats Dan, If you want to put some miles on come on up to NE Florida for a visit. Would love to see you and the new bike. Not necessarily in that order!:rotf:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats on your new scoot, a nice looking machine. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts