BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking around but did not find any pics of our bike without the topcase. Anyways if you have some please post them

thanks Rene

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
rd_gonz said:
i was looking around but did not find any pics of our bike without the topcase. Anyways if you have some please post them

thanks Rene
Hey, Rene - check with Joe (messenger13). He's got his bike set up with the Ft. Worth rack in place of the top trunk.

I've got the top trunk off of Toad for now, butt don't have a rack yet. Can't believe the difference in handling of ole Toad. Long, multi-day trips, I'll put it back on, butt for in-state stuff, we're trunkless!

BTW - come on up to Kellenbenz's RTE in Tyler Saturday and you can see how Toad looks w/o trunk. Even ride around on ole Toad if you wanna git a feel for the handling difference.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
rd_gonz said:
thanks Dick I'll pm Joe, yep i'm thinking of doing the same for around town.
Joe hasn't been on here today; I think today or tomorrow is the day he leaves for DC on his LT (but that's on the QT...). Here are a few pics. Pics 1 & 2 are the same bike. The last pic shows the Ft. Worth rack.

Two of these belong to -- or feature! -- bmwlt.com "notables". I hope they don't mind. :eek:

(Yes, I think a picture IS worth a thousand words, so I nab these photos when I can. I, too, want to learn about such things.)

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
that looks great! what'll the Ft Worth setup cost me parts and labor?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Howard thats exactly what i was looking for. Makes the LT look like a sport-tour. Now I can stop thinking about the new K1200GT!!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
rd_gonz said:
Howard thats exactly what i was looking for. Makes the LT look like a sport-tour. Now I can stop thinking about the new K1200GT!!! :)
10-4 on that, Rene; glad to help.

Now I'm ready to take my top case off (OK, the LT's top case!) too. I'm curious what all the fuss is about -- improved handling, etc. Sounds intriguing.

When I commute on the LT I put a large soft-side case w/laptop in the top case; it's gotta weigh 25-30 pounds with all the junk I have in it; it fills the entire space. I have no problems handling that, but then I really don't know any better.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
rd_gonz said:
Hey, Rene - I went by Tractor Supply yestiday and picked up four of their closed eyeball bolts in the thread size and pattern of the top-case's platform boltholes. I've got a small duffle bag that will fit on that platform, and plan to use the eyebolts for a tie-down point for some small, rubber straps. This just in case I need to grab some Krispy Kremes or chicken arms on the way home!! ;)

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Guess I should've washed my bike before that track day. :)

And while losing that much weight that high up and far back does help the bike's handling, it ain't no GT replacement. +50 HP and -150 lbs makes a huge difference. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Geez Dick, how many KKs or chicken arms do you need? More than the top case will hold but less than a duffel bag? That's an interesting way to count portions. :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
meese said:
Guess I should've washed my bike before that track day...
Hey, Mr. Meese spotted himself on his own bike! :D This was a pic you posted recently when I asked you about your mirrors. Hope you don't mind that it reappeared here...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The third photo must be Ken 'messe'...
I recognize the dirt, not the GPS assembly. ;) :)

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
No problem, Howard. The original pic is stored on this server, as a matter of fact. As you've seen, it's good for demonstrating a number of the LT's "features".

·
Registered
820 Posts
WOW!!!

Just look at the space it leaves on the back of the bike to add extra farkles too...

you could mount your home made rocket engine made from simple household appliances and stuck together with JB weld...

you could rip the speakers off your stereo floor system at home and mount it the back of the bike and crank it up an the neighbourhood would say in unison "well , i will be farkled, listen to the farkles on that BMW", and again attach it to the bike with JB weld so it doesnt come off in a big hurry,

You could attach a jiant bin to it and fill it up with the scraps from the extra farkles you added to the bike, and ride it to the rubbish dump and do a massive wheelie and leave the contents of the bin on the ground.save you getting off the bike and emptying it by hand

You could mount a diving plank off it and attach it to the bike with JB weld and go to a river and jump off the back of the bike in to the river and maybe find an extra farkle at the bottom of the river

When you find the extra farkle, come back here, write all about it in CAPITAL LETTERS and tell everyone

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Dezrae said:
You could mount a diving plank off it and attach it to the bike with JB weld and go to a river and jump off the back of the bike in to the river
After crossing the desert in 110+ degrees on the way back from the last CCR, I'd have been very glad to have that option. Didn't see it in the BMW accessory catalog though. Must be the same guys who developed the micro-fridge for the LT that never appeared.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I removed my top box about 6 weeks ago and it does make a big difference to the weight / handling. I haven't weighed the box but the bike was MOT'd a month ago and weighed in at 320kg with an almost empty fuel tank. The box stays off now unless I 'really need' it.

Stobie

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Here is a nice view of an LT without the case at sunset

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Where did you get the chrome shelf that replaces the top box? I really like the looks of that setup. Was it a difficult install?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
KEPASA said:
Where did you get the chrome shelf that replaces the top box? I really like the looks of that setup. Was it a difficult install?
It's called the Ft. Worth rack. Others will chime in with where/what/$$, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts