BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of doing the 24K maintenance on my LT and am installing PIAA 1100X lights. From other posts, I've seen a recommendation to wire the relay switch into the instrument auxiliary light power source. I have the stingray off and am looking for the most logical place to mount the PIAA on/off switch. Where exactly does the wire run that I would need to tie in to for switched power? I considered adding a Centech AP2 fuse panel, but didn't want to spend the extra $ if not necessary. Any help would be appreciated ! :confused:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Add the Centech and add an Autoswitch to control the Piaas. There is an led indicator for the Autoswitch you can mount in right side handle bar cover that would show when lights are on.
Autoswitch uses your blinker cancel switch to turn on and off Piaa instead of installing additional switches. Added fuse block will allow other electrics to be added later if needed.
You can pick up the trigger switched hot lead from your rear seat heater hot wire since only powered when key power on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased my 2006 K1200LT used and the autoswitch was already installed. I never knew how they had made it work like it did, and now I do. I really like how autoswitch works, so +1 for adding auto switch. It is a very cool set up

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Add an auxiliary fuse block (search Blue Sea) switched by a relay controlled by the seat heater circuit. Block will be hot when bike on, off when bike off, and will also be controlled by load shed relay.

I keep my MotoLights on all the time for added visibility day and night. Never have to remember to turn them on or off.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,246 Posts
The most accessible place is the Green/Blue/yellow wire going to the two little side marker lights on the high beam assy. No body work removal at all. (I presume you have an 05 or later based on the avatar)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ditto to John's pickup point in the running lights (but I would run a relay). One other pickup point for switched power (but further away for your need) is the seat heater wire before the connector for the seat. I'd run a relay on that too.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Here's a couple of pictures of my '07 sans tupperware (not quite sure how to do this, but if it works, great, if not, oh well...). I just installed a set of Jiffy-tite quick disconnects, and ordered a Centech AP2 fuse panel & Autoswitch AS7 for the lights. I liked how the Autoswitch can tie into the turn signal cancel switch to also control the lights so I don't have to find someplace to mount the PIAA on/off switch.

IMG_20130611_164712_165.jpg
IMG_20130611_164659_894.jpg

I am somewhat technically challenged when doing anything electrical, but I'll do my best as I keep plugging away. :dance:

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts