BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a K1200LT 1999 and would like to know what are the best touring lights to put on the K1200LT and where to get the brackets for them. IF you have pictures I would love to see them. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have used both 1100 & 004 lights from PIAA & new lights from Motolight up inside fairing.

Based mostly on what you need from the lights will make your decision for you..

Conspicuity = All three, 1> 1100's 2> MotoLights 3> 004's

Distance = 1100's (w good light on road)

All around = 004's (provide good light from up in-front of bike, to sides and up to about effective low beam distance. My favorite.. they now offer an amber lens for the 004 now, which will provide good wet weather assistance at night, better contrast on road surface at night also..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have PIAA 1000's mounted under the mirrors on my 1985 K100 RT and 1999 K1200LTC. I like them up high to be seen better. When we ride in a group I always take the tail position because the group leader can always find me quicker in a pack.
PIAA has changed the bulbs to H3's in my newest lights from the old style with the two metal pins out of a small headlight. I feel that the older style threw a better pattern.
When I had a job it was second shift so I was always riding home in the dark. I replaced my stock headlight bulbs on both bikes with PIAA extreme white bulb and added the 1000's.
I always ride within my headlight at night because we have to many critters that like to jump out in front of you.There is nothing like the sound of deer hooves clawing on the road for traction while you grabbing a hand full of brakes.
Whitehorse Gear has the mounts for the LT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you buy the mounts that go under the mirrors for your LTC :bmw:

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
EzyMount said:
I have used both 1100 & 004 lights from PIAA & new lights from Motolight up inside fairing.

Based mostly on what you need from the lights will make your decision for you..

Conspicuity = All three, 1> 1100's 2> MotoLights 3> 004's

Distance = 1100's (w good light on road)

All around = 004's (provide good light from up in-front of bike, to sides and up to about effective low beam distance. My favorite.. they now offer an amber lens for the 004 now, which will provide good wet weather assistance at night, better contrast on road surface at night also..
+1 on the EzyMount setup. I ran it on all three of my LTs and it was fantastic and trouble free on every one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James,
I am not understanding what you mean by
+1 on the EzyMount setup :bmw:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
James do you have any pictures of your LT with these lights? :bmw:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
geratunc said:
James do you have any pictures of your LT with these lights? :bmw:
Hi, Gerald - Click here for a link to Jim Lawson's EzyMount page that has a coupla pics of the auxiliary lighting installations and mounts. I grabbed the link from the EzyMount logo in the Vendor/Supporter list.

Lotsa folks have installed those lights on the bracket Lawson vends.

Oh yeah, +1 means "another plug for" the item under discussion!! ;)

Take care - hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
+2 for the EZMounts if you decide to go with PIAA 1100x up inside the fairing (as per the photos at the link in Dick's post).

I have 1100x's mounted that way, as well as Motolights mounted down low on the forks, and I have to say I personally prefer the Motolights and use them far more. For one thing, they're farther removed from the headlight, so they create a more eye-catching triangle of lights for conspicuity. For another thing, replacement bulbs can be purchased at Home Depot for cheap, and you can put a wide beam on the right (to illiminate signs and deer eyes), with a spot beam on the left so as not to blind oncomers.

YMMV, and I think you'll be happy with either PIAAs or Motolights; I personally just find the latter more valuable.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I have the PIAA lights as shown in the picture but I'm not sure what style they are. They are nice for close up and lighting the sides. It's like an enhanced low beam. If you're looking for lighting up the road for any distance in front of you, I understand the Motolights are better. When I drove an 18 wheeler I had some aircraft landing lights in the bumper. They lit up the road but were illegal. I've seen some of the Motolights mounted on the front fork tubes that looked similar to these lights......... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts