BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am just inches away from ordering a PIAA kit but am wondering if any of you have experience with either of these 2 kits.
The 74124 is specifically marketed as for the R1200RT which I assume has to do with the supplied bracket.
The 74224 is a "generic" bracketed kit.
The reason I am asking is that I can find the 224 for 50$ cheaper than I find the 124. Anyone installed the 224 and can you share your findings?

·
Registered
472 Posts
It depends on the year of your bike. If the bike is pre-2010, the 74124 will fit it. If it's a '10 or '11 model the bracket in the 74124 kit won't fit. The bracket for '10 and '11 is PIAA part# 74122. Note that PIAA never marketed the 74122 bracket either separately or in kit form but they have them.

EZY-MOUNT makes brackets also to work with the generic PIAA kits. You need to be certain that you don't get the 1100 lights that say POWERSPORTS on them. PIAA changed the mount bracket on the Powersports lights and the change will cause interference between the light and fender.

Jim at EZY-MOUNT was a big help to me in getting this sorted out. I would suggest that you contact him to be sure what you buy will work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just saw that you're on an RT-P so I think that means pre-'10.

If you intend to mount them in the front fairing under the oil cooler you will need a bike specific bracket. If you don't the fender will hit it on full compression.

Too bad the price went up on the 74124 kit. I got it on Amazon in Dec for $271.

Check with Jim at EZY-MOUNT. He knows what works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GRB60, extremely helpful, hopefully also for others. I luckily am sitting on 10 x 25$ amazon giftcards so the damage will not be as bad. 74124 on its way, looking forward to putting them on as Illinois is getting warmer and i am dying to get out on the road.
Thanks again :dance:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more interesting tidbit GRB60: you mentioned to stay away from the PIAA kit with powersports on them but when I look at the pictures of the 74124 kits they all seem to say powersports. Are there different versions of 74124, I would think not?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Powersports is OK for the kit for your '06.

If you needed to buy brackets from EZY-MOUNT his bracket won't work with the Powersports lamps. I think you're good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts