BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got room for one more farkle?

I installed a set of PIAA 1100X driving lights with the intent of using them for daytime running lights as well as driving lights. It didn't take me long to realise that they were just too bright for daytime lights, so......

This mod turns your PIAA 1100X into both daytime running lights and driving lights by running the PIAAs at half brilliance during the day.

I haven't had an angry daytime motorist since, but they are still bright enough to be easily noticed.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Daz,

Nice job!

I installed mine for daytime conspicuity as well. The only time I got "flashed" by other motorists was when I rode at night. I aimed the 1100xs just a little bit lower, and they quit flashing me.

I installed a tiny little slave relay off of the the alternator light, so mine don't come on unless the key is on, and the engine is running. That way if the alternator quits, they are the first thing to shut off. It also minimizes battery drain during the intervals between key on/startup and sidestand down/key off.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Buck,

Hey, I like the idea of the relay on the alternator light. Does the light have enough juice to power a sizable relay, i.e. the ones that I'm using?

If I used that signal instead of the low beam signal it would do what yours does and still go to full brilliance with high beam. Thanks, I like the idea. Where did you pick up the alternator light signal from?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Daz,

I used a tiny little slave relay, because I was worried that a bigger one would overload the circuit.

See my drawings for more detail.

Hmmm... I can't seem to figure out how to attach them. I click on "Manage Attachments", but nothing happens. It says: "You may post attachments"

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buck,

Just checked mine. I click on Manage Attachments, it opens a window that allows you to browse and select what you want to upload, then there is an upload button.

Hope you can get it to work, I'd like to see what you have done.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I personally like bright daytime driving lights because they like to ignore riders here in Austin. However, the idea of having the choice is better than not. Thanks for the information!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts