BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was showing a friend how to use his new Nav V. I noticed his has a phone icon on the main screen, mine doesn't. Could this be because my RT does not have a radio, so there are no speakers?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The Phone icon on Nav V is so you can pair your phone with the Bike's Comm System. This (with BMW Comm System at least) goes through the Nav V, as an integrated piece of the Entertainment System (iPod, XM, Radio, etc.).

If my iPhone is not turned on, the Phone on the Main Menu of the Nav V is greyed out.

I am guessing that you are correct - your bike doesn't have the entertainment system (I assume, since no speakers), therefore, no "Phone".

FWIW, the BMW Comm System (in my C3) is paired with the bike (for radio, iPod music, XM), and separately paired with the Nav V for Phone, and navigation prompts. Phone is paired ONLY to the Nav V. Maybe if you got Bluetooth for the helmet (and by extension, the phone), the Phone icon can appear and be used if paired to the Nav V.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved. I hadn't paired my iPhone with the Garmin. Had to download the Garmin app. Now that it's paired the phone icon appears. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The Garmin App is very handy for traffic/weather alerts (requires cell connectivity, so sometimes no joy in the boonies).

The Garmin App will eat your battery faster. I keep an iPhone USB cord (and Powerlet USB adapter) handy on rides that will be for more than a few hours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With this setup is it possible to play tunes from the iPhone? Can't seem to get that to happen , the bike radio and gps are playing thru the Sena and the phone caller ID is on the nav, I can't get music off my phone to play.

Do I have to plug in the phone and play it as an aux source or plug in a thumb drive with music on it???

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
With this setup is it possible to play tunes from the iPhone? Can't seem to get that to happen , the bike radio and gps are playing thru the Sena and the phone caller ID is on the nav, I can't get music off my phone to play.

Do I have to plug in the phone and play it as an aux source or plug in a thumb drive with music on it???
You need a BMW converter cable to hook up your iPod/iPhone to the RT's audio system. Do a search in the RT section, because the topic had been quite thoroughly discussed in the past! :smile:

·
Registered
353 Posts
If using Smartlink be careful if you put your cellphone into one of the powersaving modes as these sometimes stop mobile data when the screen is off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts