BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This popped in my head. Anyone tried it? Never seen it done, seems like the solution to the phone mount problem:

Ordered a belt holster for my iPhone. The kind with the spring clip that holds the phone in the holster, like this:

Pop the belt clip off the back, and screw the phone holster onto a Ram flat face mount.
The belt holsters are literally designed to hold the phone, and maximized for easy in and out with one hand

Parts on order, will be building it this week.

Reactions: scottydawg

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
135 Posts
Please post some pics of your process and post assembly and then mounting completion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm a QuadLock guy - works great.

Reactions: davebullock

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am running this mount too. Started out as a mount on my dash, but changed it to a handlebar mount using the Iphone holster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, here it is:

$15 phone belt clip off Amazon, and a Ram flat plate ball mount

Belt clip - Pop it off. Just pry it, it won't break the case

The clip base needs to come out of the holster so get the back flat.
Press the center part, and you'll feel it pressing against the felt on the inside of holster.
Cut around the felt around the hub with a knife, and it comes right out.

Use a file or rasp to flatten out the area around the clip hole, so the holster is flat to the RAM mount plate. Or, I used some double-stick tape around the area for extra hold, and built up the area around the hole.

Drill a couple holes, 4 or 5 mm bolts and nuts, use the RAM plate to get the holes drilled. I did mine freehand, the bit skipped and one of the holes is off center. Don't care, it's all hidden by the holster.
If I had used the double stick tape on the first pass, the bit could not have skipped. Live and learn.

Ram mount.

Final product:

Couldn't take a photo with my phone in it, since my phone is my camera.
The phone goes in just fine backwards (screen out) and the spring clip holds it very securely.

Riding this weekend, will report back.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I started out using the Ram mount to hold my cell phone holster, but I didn't like how much vibration was transmitted out to the end of the mount. It was far too "wiggley" for my tastes. The mount I am using now is still a little shaky but I have a idea for stiffening it to reduce the vibrations that are transmitted to the phone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rode across town Friday, about 100 miles with combination of high-speed highway and rough surface streets. Phone was rock solid and did not budge. No vibrations. The most solid phone mount I've ever had.

Easy in and out of the mount, easy one-handed, even with gloves on.
On the X-Grip and Scosche mount, the rubber bands over the corners would often interfere somewhat with corner or bottom edge touches, making it hard to switch apps or adjust brightness. This mount doesn't touch the screen, so there's no interference.

So far, I'm very happy.

Reactions: Uneasy_Ryder

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a Rokform for my S20+ 5G on my RT. If you have a phone that they have a case for, this is easily the the most simple, secure easy to use mount I have ever used. By a longshot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you like this idea, check out Welcome to SlipGripCarMounts - Innovation in Progress
They basically make this same thing for around $35 and you can order it with a RAM ball on it already. They are pretty solid and can be ordered to fit your phone specifically in whatever case you have.

I've also switched to QuadLock though as the wireless charging is awesome.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
IMG_0897(2).jpg I just moved this ram mount (far right side) from my other bike. I had the SPOT there, and just moved it over to the top of the radar case. We'll see how it works out - have a 10 day ride coming up.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Ridden 120k plus with nothing but an xgrip without the rubber band thingy attached. Never lost a phone yet.
That said it is fun to tinker with your own ideas sometimes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good for you! I had my phone come out of the XGrip twice on my Goldwing, once on the Multistrada.
Started using the rubber band, but it interfered with the touchscreen.
Hence the new design
Ridden 120k plus with nothing but an xgrip without the rubber band thingy attached. Never lost a phone yet.
That said it is fun to tinker with your own ideas sometimes.

·
IBR# 366
16,606 Posts
I've cut up many phone holders, made custom brackets, and rewired charging cords for years now.

I was using the RAM X-Grip, but it takes two hands to use, the side grips can interfere with the buttons, the rubber band can interfere with the screen, and you still have to plug the phone in.

I recently switched to a RAM Quick-Grip Waterproof Wireless Charging Holder RAM-HOL-UN14WB. Bit pricey, but it's secure, works with my phone case, can be operated with one hand, includes a rubber hook for extra stability that doesn't interfere with the screen, and most importantly, allows wireless charging and Bluetooth connection, so I don't need to plug anything in. It connects with a standard USB-A plug, and there are a ton of 12V-to-USB adapters out there. I'm using a USB Charger Adapter from Warm & Safe which runs at 3 amps and charges the phone at full power.

The only thing it doesn't do is lock the phone in place, but if I leave the bike even to just go pay for fuel, I just grab the phone with one hand and take it with me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts