BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys - I thought this was a pretty good idea - perhaps not new, but here it is anyhow - I had a powerlet port installed in this location in the radio box, and as you can see from the design of the powerlet micro usb charger and the port, no problem plugging it in, and closing the lid. Lockable, dry, and stays fully charged even when bluetoothed in through Zumo or otherwise actively used.

John

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wish I had thought of that. I do not have a radio and had two extra outlets placed on the panel where the radio controls would be placed but really like your idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I like it! Didn't even know I had that little "shelf" in my glove box.....had to go out to the garage and check!

I like the idea and will probably add it to mine. My big question is where do you find a 90 degree plug like that? That will be the challenging part.

Thanks for the idea!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
John, that's a fantastic idea! I have the factory radio in my 2009, but there's that same little flat spot where you mounted the socket. I don't know whether there is room underneath it for a Powerlet socket but the next time I have the Tupperware off I'll look. I've been toying around with a clean way to get power to my phone to use it as a player, this may be it!

Thanks a million.

JayJay

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Alaskan said:
I like it! Didn't even know I had that little "shelf" in my glove box.....had to go out to the garage and check!

I like the idea and will probably add it to mine. My big question is where do you find a 90 degree plug like that? That will be the challenging part.

Thanks for the idea!!

Alaskan
I've purchased directly from Powerlet many times and their service has been excellent. Additional advantage is that if you don't see the cable you want they'll make one up to your specs. I'm probably going to have them make up a short cable with an angled head and iPhone adapter on it.

JayJay

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AntRT said:
If I had that can I actually use my cell/android phone while it's plugged in as well as a charger?
Hi AntRT. If the question is whether you can use the cell phone when it's plugged into the charger and charging, I sure do frequently with my android. Often do so at home or in the car using a jawbone while the phone is charging. Same with the bike, though using it through my Zumo 665 and Autocom.

John

·
Registered
290 Posts
JayJay said:
I've purchased directly from Powerlet many times and their service has been excellent. Additional advantage is that if you don't see the cable you want they'll make one up to your specs. I'm probably going to have them make up a short cable with an angled head and iPhone adapter on it.

JayJay
www.easternbeaver.com and www.wiremybike.com sell Powerlet stuff at a discount. Both are reliable and prompt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Trojan said:
Hi AntRT. If the question is whether you can use the cell phone when it's plugged into the charger and charging, I sure do frequently with my android. Often do so at home or in the car using a jawbone while the phone is charging. Same with the bike, though using it through my Zumo 665 and Autocom.

John
Thanks John.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have made like this

This outlet is connected directly to the battery (of course - via fuse) and so I can use it both directions - for battery charging and for devices feeding

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm trying to mount a socket like this on my '05 RT - I think it's an excellent location for charging as whatever you have plugged in is out of site, but on my bike there is no clearance under that part of the radio box for the depth of the socket, its hard up against the tank - maybe 3/8" gap. Seems weird, maybe they slightly changed the tank moulding shape on later models

Anyone else tried mounting a socket in that position ?

Jon

Trojan said:
Morning guys - I thought this was a pretty good idea - perhaps not new, but here it is anyhow - I had a powerlet port installed in this location in the radio box, and as you can see from the design of the powerlet micro usb charger and the port, no problem plugging it in, and closing the lid. Lockable, dry, and stays fully charged even when bluetoothed in through Zumo or otherwise actively used.

John

·
Registered
323 Posts
GRB60 said:
It IS a factory option on the 2010 and newer bikes. The radio equipped bikes have a USB input that will charge a phone.
I have this as a factory option on a 2011 RT, BUT it charges very slowly. When I'm parked, I plug the phone into a cord connected to either power port and it changes the phone quickly. Adding a port in the "radio box" is a great idea. My question is where do you pick up power?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was planning to run wires from the socket direct to the battery via an inline fuse, then I would have power if I wanted to charge something when the bike was parked and also when riding.

I know that you have to be aware of draining the bike battery too much, but in the past I have charged my cellphone, tablet and bluetooth intercom while the bike was parked on a campsite, and it still cranked and fired up no problem the next day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.