BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
From what I can tell it's all temp related. When the ambient temp was in the 90's the phone went in at 100% and after a couple hours it was down to 80%. Now that's it's in the 70's the phone goes in at 100% and a couple hours later it comes out at 100%. As the phone heats up it's ability to charge diminishes.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
10 Posts
Gomoca,
I spent a good while looking for this extra port with no luck. Can you tell me where it was on your 2015?
Maybe depending on what option pkg's you have it might be used for one of them?
br

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
48 Posts
Gomoca,
I spent a good while looking for this extra port with no luck. Can you tell me where it was on your 2015?
Maybe depending on what option pkg's you have it might be used for one of them?
br
Hi Baileyrock,
Take this video as an example. Basically on the RT this socket is under the fairing , fitted on the left side, for those facing the bike.
I look forward to hearing from you...

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
That connector is for the previous models RT - hexheads and camheads! You don't have it in the wetheads or shiftcam RT (MY 2014 - 2020).

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Well, i have it on my bike (2015) ;)
Your bike must be the rare one (at least rare here in the US) withOUT the nav prep! I have never seen one here without the prep, and the one with the prep has the GPS wiring ended at the built-in GPS mount. :)

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
48 Posts
Your bike must be the rare one (at least rare here in the US) withOUT the nav prep! I have never seen one here without the prep, and the one with the prep has the GPS wiring ended at the built-in GPS mount. :)
Hi PadG,
Maybe, who knows? Here in Europe, in my case Portugal, it was sold to me already with that extra plug (which I use to charge my phone, GPS...)

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
48 Posts
I'm away from my bike but as soon as I'm with her I'll take pictures of what I'm talking about. The original connection is obviously there, the question was where another connection might be...

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
10 Posts
PadG, I do have GPS prep on my 2015, is there 12v supplied to a pair of those Pins(factory)? If yes does anyone know which pins? I haven't really found any voltage on those pins, but it does power up my Garmin(obvious power) which I don't plan to use. Prefer to use my iPhone's gps.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
PadG, I do have GPS prep on my 2015, is there 12v supplied to a pair of those Pins(factory)? If yes does anyone know which pins? I haven't really found any voltage on those pins, but it does power up my Garmin(obvious power) which I don't plan to use. Prefer to use my iPhone's gps.
That is very much what I figured! I could be wrong, but I don't believe that BMW had imported any non-GPS prep bike into the US. The wire color should be the same as what's on that plug that Gomoca is talking about, and perhaps he could check it out for you. Just one conductor really, since they are very strict about color coding across the pond, and so the color brown is reserved strictly for earth/ground/negative. So, all you need to know is which is the positive conductor.

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
48 Posts
Hello,
For the avoidance of doubt, I have filmed, what appears to me to be an extra electrical connection. If I'm the only one with it, I have no idea.
Cheers and good luck! (if i manage to attach the videos or photos!!!)
Automotive tire Font Screenshot Engineering Auto part

Screenshot Font Engineering Multimedia Multimedia software

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Hello,
For the avoidance of doubt, I have filmed, what appears to me to be an extra electrical connection. If I'm the only one with it, I have no idea.
Cheers and good luck! (if i manage to attach the videos or photos!!!)
View attachment 181022

View attachment 181023
Please don't think that we doubted your words!!! I am very of what you have. Quite frankly, I had never looked on my previous '15 RT, but that bike was GPS prepped, and I had no needs to look. That plug was there on earlier generation of RT, and also an extra connector for the 2nd horn, and I believe that they both are missing from the newer RTs imported into the US.

Reactions: Gomoca

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Just a thought, but you could get power up front by tapping into the front aux port. Do use a good connector, specifically PosiTap for that.

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
48 Posts
Just a thought, but you could get power up front by tapping into the front aux port. Do use a good connector, specifically PosiTap for that.
Hi PadG,
No doubt but, I'm not the one looking for an extra connection. It's baileyrock.
I'm perfectly served with what I have and what originally came on my RT'15
Thank you ✌

21 - 36 of 36 Posts