BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody figured out how to make the charger port on the R 1200 RT provide more juice? When navigating with the Scenic app, connected to my Sena 20, when riding for a good part of the day, the phone steadily loses charge even though it's charging the whole time. Seems the USB outlet on the bike is not putting out the required voltage. (2014 or 1200 RT)

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Has anybody figured out how to make the charger port on the R 1200 RT provide more juice? When navigating with the Scenic app, connected to my Sena 20, when riding for a good part of the day, the phone steadily loses charge even though it's charging the whole time. Seems the USB outlet on the bike is not putting out the required voltage. (2014 or 1200 RT)
You are correct in that the USB port in the 1200s do not output sufficient current. It's not intended for charging a phone, but more for data input to the radio! That's where you connect your thumbdrive, or whatever, with your MP3 files, to be able to play them from the radio. If I recall correctly, the output current is around 850 mA, max.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
59 Posts
That outlet does not put out enough amps to keep up with the charging demands of current phones. I opted to run a constant 12v setup in my tank bag that allows me to charge electronics, including my phone while in its mount, while riding or even continuing to charge while I’m off the bike for stops. Not sure if you have your heart set on converting the existing plug but this is my solution.

·
Registered
2022 Triple Black R1250rt. Previously 2009rt, 2011K1600, 2017RT, 2019RT
317 Posts
Yes direct to battery usb connection in a tank bag or top box. Mine is to the topbox and is enough to charge from empty to full during a ride. Phone in the top box still connects to everything.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you talking about the USB port or the power port? I have a high quality 12-volt to USB adapter which displays voltage. Typically puts out 14.2 when bike is running. 13.8 or better with bike off, android phone plugged in via quality cable with Waze GPS and Pandora running. Phone charges faster than any setup I have except a short (3' fast-charge cable) manufacturer (One Plus) supplied cord and 120-volt high-powered charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did not realize this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you talking about the USB port or the power port? I have a high quality 12-volt to USB adapter which displays voltage. Typically puts out 14.2 when bike is running. 13.8 or better with bike off, android phone plugged in via quality cable with Waze GPS and Pandora running. Phone charges faster than any setup I have except a short (3' fast-charge cable) manufacturer (One Plus) supplied cord and 120-volt high-powered charger.
I was referring to the USB port. Thanks

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
9 Posts
Could/should start another post, but thought I might get an answer here?
Looking for an easy source of 12v power at/near/behind/under the factory GPS mount on 2015 RT.
Bought a phone holder that pops into the gps slot that provides two USB 5v sources, but need 12v for V1 Radar Detector.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
46 Posts
Could/should start another post, but thought I might get an answer here?
Looking for an easy source of 12v power at/near/behind/under the factory GPS mount on 2015 RT.
Bought a phone holder that pops into the gps slot that provides two USB 5v sources, but need 12v for V1 Radar Detector.
Any thoughts?
Hi,
I wonder if this video helps. It's from a member here on the forum:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keep in mind that the voltage readout on the USB charger is the available voltage to the charger only. The charger output voltage is limited to 5V. The available output amperage is the key in this scenario. My iPad charger will charge my phone much faster than the small charger that used to come with the iPhone. The USB charger is a voltage step down transformer. Maybe in some instances, the phone is using more current from the battery than the USB charger can supply. Phone battery degradation can play a big role in recharge capability.

Paul

1 - 20 of 31 Posts