BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The family is getting fed up with wet and cold England and wants a short break to get away from it all. Having been to Scottsdale before and loved it our daughter would like to go back again.

My Question is the heat, how bad? When we visited before it has always been in September/October when cooler. To those of you living there can you tell me how do people visiting find it who are not used to the heat. Does it stop them from doing much or is it better to wait for it to cool down a bit.

There would be a fair bit of outdoors things they want to do (Phoenix Zoo, out of Africa etc.) as well as the usual abuse of the credit card in the shops.

Thanks for any words of wisdom

Mike

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't live there at the moment but I have lived there for a while when I was growing up. I doubt that you would enjoy it in Phoenix now unless you want to stay indoors most of the time. Going out at night might be nice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's absolutely brutal right now. It's not only hot, but the humidity is going up because it's entering into the monsoon season. Tolerating 4 months of hell for 8 months of bliss. Up north you can always add clothes to get warmer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So much for the 'but it's a dry heat' cliche. I'm renting an LT in Phoenix in a couple of weeks and doing an Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico kind of thing. It's part of a family reunion so I didn't get to schedule it the way I would have and don't have enough time off to ride mine out. I would appreciate it if you guys could get heat turned down a bit before I get there. :sun:

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I live here and p/u my ,new to me, 06 LT Saturday.
I want the heat down as much as anyone but..
North AZ. is nice right now though.
Wait to visit until Oct.. The rates are still reasonable then.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The SO and I did a 2-up on July 4th, 500 miles, from NW Phoenix (we're about 25 miles east-N-east of Scottsdale, very top part of NW phoenix)..

Figured it was a good day to try out her brand new air flow suit :)

It was hot, even in the mountains...went up thru payson, christopher creek, then cut up north on some road all the way to route 40, back west to 87 I thnk it was (sorry, only been here since Jan 07), stopped at natural bridge state park for a couple hour break before heading into the phoenix furnace...i think its at about 8k feet and it was nice there, lower 90's, but most of the mountains were still around 100, payson was showing about 104-106 or so.

August will be tuff if you don't want to hide indoors all afternoon. It is nicer in the mountains (north), maybe up-to flagstaff area its even cooler (sedona)..

but...you might get more enjoyment waiting a bit if you can, as stated already.

oh yeah...the airflow gear worked great, but it was still hot for the pillion, the SO wasn't too excited about riding in that heat again, even though it was nice starting out ealier in the day..rolled into phoenix around 8pm and it was still showing about 108 deg F :eek:

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all,

kind of what we thought just wanted it confirmed. Ah well now to try and find somewhere else to go for a week to ten days.

Mike

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
355pilot said:
thanks all,

kind of what we thought just wanted it confirmed. Ah well now to try and find somewhere else to go for a week to ten days.

Mike
Hey Mike:

You might want to check out where I escape for the summer:

http://vail.snow.com/summerhome.asp

and

http://www.visitvailvalley.com/index.php

I'm pretty sure there are some relatively inexpensive non-stop flights into Denver, then rent a car and 100 miles later you're in a mountain paradise with all sorts of stuff to do... stay at Beaver Creek nearby - Vail is a mess right now - the entire town is being rebuilt.

The weather is just about perfect: sunny and cool in the morning, mild afternoons when you may get a few cloud buildups and maybe a brief thunderstrom, but by 9:00 at night it's clear again.

Not inexpensive, but with the dollar/pound exchange it's a bloody bargain!;)

PS, I've had a CAA airship and balloon license since 1987, spent a lot of time around Oswestry, Shropshire.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Don't get scared off. Yes it is hot, and will be in triple digits (F) until October, but the monsoons (annual rains) are coming and bringing a break from the constant oppressive, never-get-below-100-even-at-night, burn-second-degree-blisters-on-your-feet-if-you-pick-up-the-newspaper-in-your -bare-feet heat.

British Airways flies nonstop to Phoenix. Mornings and evenings aren't too bad and we're not on Daylight Savings so it doesn't stay light until 10:00 pm. There are a thing or two to do indoors. Museums, theater, movies, malls, malls, malls. Take a day trip up to Flagstaff or Grand Canyon. Eat some real Mexican food. Monsoon rains will be fueling wildflower blooms. Or as someone else said you can get a $400 a night resort hotel room for 75 GBP and just hang out at the pool. And stay hydrated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My son lives in Tucson and another in Phoenix. I DO NOT go there this time of year :v: . The folks that like the oudoors and are able, go north this time of year. If you dont want to be stranded indoors and like the outdoors, wilderness and watersports, fly to Kalispell, Montana. A wonderful place to visit. Coeur d' Alene (great golf) Idaho, Spokane Washington and Canada all very close within rental car distance. Glacier Park is close to Kalispell but beware of the Grizzley bears. Whitefish Montana 15mi from Kalispell is beautiful this time of year, lakes, a gondola to the top of the rockies where you can see all the way to the Canadian Rockies. :D

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
OK, here's another shameless pitch...Seattle is gorgeous this time of year. Although we are just coming out of a heat wave, typical weather is high 80's during the day and 50's at night. Plenty to see and do...Mt. Ranier or Olympic National Parks, fantastic restaurants (seafood to die for), world class shopping (what you would expect in the home of Microsoft Millionaires). Just a thought...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Iron Horse Motorcycles in Tucson tells their customers that do not live here that “sometimes we even ride during summer”.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
355pilot said:
thanks all,

Mike
The White Mts. near PHX are at a higher elevation and a summer respite for the valley folks.
I rode the Devils Highway Rte 191 earlier this year and there was still snow in the moiuntains. I'm sure it's gone now.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
PMitchell said:
The White Mts. near PHX are at a higher elevation and a summer respite for the valley folks.
I rode the Devils Highway Rte 191 earlier this year and there was still snow in the moiuntains. I'm sure it's gone now.
LOL! Looonngggg gone. Here's a picture I took yesterday in Colorado while flying. This is the New York Range, in the middle of the state. The peaks are 13 to 14K.

There's just a trace of snow left - when usually they are completely covered!

191 is one of my favorite roads anywhere in the US, but don't tell anyone about it. :thumb: There's even a cheap motel in Safford (near the Southern end) with hot springs and cold beer. ;)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts