BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little mishap today - I know the hole is small and for health reasons we are not supposed to see down the sides when filling up-but I tried and guess what? Yep your're right I got a huge blow back of petrol over the upper reaches of the bike, DOH! Got most of it off OK with the immediate application of forecourt water. But the two small plastic thingies above and below the handlebar remained milky white despite said water treatment. Got home quick and used hot water and detergant but that made no difference. Bit of a surprise when plastic reacts so violently like this. Now wondering whether to try metal polish. Any suggestions?

Dave Gillboy Toscana Green LTSE North East, England

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
...unlucky - I've done it once - petrol all over the place - luckily no lasting damage (all though, I thought it might explode when I fired it up), and certainly no white abs - but, that was my first time filling it on the centre stand (evidently you can get considerably more fuel in), and ever since then, every time I fill up, it takes abot TWO days to register a full tank:confused: :mad: :(

...see you're up in Ebchester - I'm just outside Darlington - have to have a ride out when I get back from Africa (posey or what :p )

Wool.

....funnily enough, one of my non-spare time occupations is 3D videogrametry - ideal for SOC work - the imagery is like being there - walk through a scene in real time, look around where you want to, zoom in & out etc, and can coordinate it to 3mm accuracy ...

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
Nope, you can get more fuel in on the side stand. It actually puts the filler hole just a bit higher than the rest of the tank. I did manage to get 6.533 US gallons (24.73 litres) in once.

I always top mine of as high as I can. Here in SoCal that means holding the little rubber boot back for the last few squirts. I've occasionally spilled fuel, but usually just wipe it off right away with no problems.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
meese said:
Nope, you can get more fuel in on the side stand. It actually puts the filler hole just a bit higher than the rest of the tank. I did manage to get 6.533 US gallons (24.73 litres) in once.

I always top mine of as high as I can. Here in SoCal that means holding the little rubber boot back for the last few squirts. I've occasionally spilled fuel, but usually just wipe it off right away with no problems.
... sorry Ken, I got it the wrong way round (so much salt on the roads round here, I can't remember riding :sleep: )

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've done that & rinsed good with water & never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Can also depend on fuel formulation. If it's "just gasoline" - not likely to do much damage if rinsed off promptly.

Some places though - they put some weird stuff in their fuels - can even change for the seasons, regulations, market, etc. Hard to know what was in there that reacted to the plastics so badly.

Anyone got part nos way handy for those bar covers? I may well be look'n to replace a couple as well. Little plastic posts where the screws go through have gotten brittle and fractured.

Mmm, maybe a delayed reaction to an old fuel spill??

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
gillboy said:
But the two small plastic thingies above and below the handlebar remained milky white despite said water treatment. Got home quick and used hot water and detergant but that made no difference. Bit of a surprise when plastic reacts so violently like this. Now wondering whether to try metal polish. Any suggestions?

Dave Gillboy Toscana Green LTSE North East, England
I'd use a plastic polish, MacGuiers makes a good one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys

Six replies in minutes from around the world - what a great community, thanks everyone, seems I should not have had a problem, but now I have, I will seek out a plastic polish as 'grifscoots' advises.

Wooly, good luck on your next trip. When you get back check out 'Centrex Forensic Training' on the web - we may have possible connections here re your video stuff.

Also interested in the odd ride out. (01207 560185)

Bike wise, I also ride a VFR 750 and a Honda Cub 90 (don't laugh-it is indestructible) Cheers Gillboy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Been there...

Plastic polish and a little foam pad on a mount that fits into your cordless drill. A few minutes and you'll wonder that you worried so much. Worked for me, anyway.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts