BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows
When I put my LT in the garage I smell petrol after some time. Yestarday I rode for some time in about 40 farenheit. Then put in garage where temp is about 60 farenheit. The day after I can smell the petrol strongly.
Do you know if it is possible to block or minimize the smell?

Thanks bt

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
First I would check for a fuel leak. The fuel quick disconect are known to break and leak.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
+1 on a fuel leak, the quick connects are on the right side under the tupperware, bottom of the tank.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
Since you have a Euro spec bike and no charcoal cannister to trap normal tank vent fumes that could be your source as well. The tube is at the rear of the bike so go give her rear end a "sniff". (Did I just say that?...)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
jzeiler said:
Since you have a Euro spec bike and no charcoal cannister to trap normal tank vent fumes that could be your source as well. The tube is at the rear of the bike so go give her rear end a "sniff". (Did I just say that?...)
Hey John ... You mean like this?? :rotf:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,420 Posts
Dang it Steve... Coffee 1, keyboard 0.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Stevie, that is soooo wrong!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Since you have a 2000 model, you do not have the quick disconnects, unless someone installed them. On my LT, I had a gas smell on my right boot but at idle I could not see anything leaking. It ended up being the plastic coupling (in place of the quick disconnects) that had a crack in it. I also double checked the gasket under that large black nut for the fuel pump/filter housing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
BjossiBolla said:
Hi fellows
When I put my LT in the garage I smell petrol after some time. Yestarday I rode for some time in about 40 farenheit. Then put in garage where temp is about 60 farenheit. The day after I can smell the petrol strongly.
Do you know if it is possible to block or minimize the smell?

Thanks bt
I had an intermittent leak on my '99. Dealer replaced a bladder under the tank to solve the problem, still don't know if I was taken for a ride, but it's ancient history now.

However, most important is to keep that bike outside if you have any combustion sources in the garage. A friend's house burnt to the ground because of a fuel leak in his bike, parked in the drive under garage. They think the hot water heater lit the fumes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just got my 2003 back from a service, and there was a recall on the fuel lines which they did free of charge. Call your BMW dealer with your VIN # and see if it is part of the recall, maybe you can get it fixed for free.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah, it's the lousy BMW qd. I posted earlier about the danger involved...worse than a FD failure. Mine threw gas 8-10 feet with tupperware off and destroyed a pair of good boots! No laughing matter. I replaced it with brass and clamped the hoses. Good ol' BMW...over-engineered coupled with cost cutting components. I put this into the NHTSA complaint file a couple years ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what year did they start using the plastic QD's? I have an 01 and had a fuel leak so I bought the brass ones from beemer boneyard and had them installed. Didn't solve the problem, turned out a fuel line was loose. Tech tightened and no problem since. It was always worse when it was cooler outside, like in the fall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts