BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone farckled the top-case Led brake light so that it stays on whilst riding through fog or really bad weather ?.

If so, how and where did you install the switch to convert it back to normal use ?.

I installed a modulator for this light.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
i WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT FOG LIGHTS Are best when low down. SOmeone (Ari?) changed their center brake light to fog I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
I'm surprised this isn't mandatory on Euro delivered models! :think:

in Arizona - where we've had dense fog maybe ONCE in the past ten years, :rolleyes: all the cagers drive around at night with their white front fog lights on. It drives me absolutely nuts. (not to mention blind).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
I wonder why not just put you flashers on if you slow down in a fog bank? And you should be going slower. People tend to go to fast when they lose visual clues about their speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
c00k1e said:
i WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT FOG LIGHTS Are best when low down. SOmeone (Ari?) changed their center brake light to fog I believe.
Yeah, I confess...

I converted the OEM centermost taillight bright (21W) filament into fog-light and also as third brake light.
From factory the center bulb comes with two filaments (5W/21W) and only the 5W filament is used for regular taillight. It is very easy to take the 21 W filament into brake light use by simply stealing the brake light power from the neighboring bulbs.
By using a diode it is also very simple to make the connection in such way that the center bulb can be fed separately through a switch and kept it lit continuously in a fog etc.

In the attached pictures you can see the principle:

The center bulb in the one on the left in the photos. The diode ( a 5-10 Amp for instance) is installed between the stock brake light and the new center one in such way that the current flows one way from the OEM brake light towards the new brake light but not vice versa.
Then the new center brake light is separately powered by a 12 V through a switch and when the switch is on only this one bulb is lit. The diode prevents the other two bulbs to be powered.

I attach also a small picture of my wiring schematics. (The diode is 10 D1 and the fog light power supply is through cable 10 C3 while the brake light power is fed through 10 C5)

I also had the luggage rack brake light connected the way Simon asked about but I did not like it (or to be honest: I was afraid the local police officers might not like it as it was too bright and gave the impression that iI was riding constantly with my brake lights on..)

Regards

Regards
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ari,

I also have the third brake light connected as you suggest.

How did you connect the luggage rack brake light ?. I only want to be able to have it on permanently in foggy conditions.

In normal weather it would work the way it was designed for, using a switch or something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
simoncharles said:
Ari,

I also have the third brake light connected as you suggest.

How did you connect the luggage rack brake light ?. I only want to be able to have it on permanently in foggy conditions.

In normal weather it would work the way it was designed for, using a switch or something.
Simon, let me look in my garage. I might still have the little circuit I bought from Raffy some years ago. I can send it to you as I have no use for it. Then you can play with it...

In the meanwhile, PM your postal address as I might not have it.

If I find it, it's a Christmas present for you for all your Spanish translation help :)

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Yep, the gadget I'm sending you is the same thing except it has the feature of keeping the brake light on at dimmed mode.

I nowadays have just the plain modulator installed at CCR 06 plus I have a switch that I can turn the modulation mode off in case LEOs get too curious about it. (This feature is as well not officially legal over here..:( )

Forgot the pics of my extra Kisan Trail Blazer, here they are.I suppose the "dimming feature" can at least be disabled with a help of small relay in case plain disconnecting of the auxliary power makes the whole unit dead.

Regards
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
mwnahas said:
I wonder why not just put you flashers on if you slow down in a fog bank? And you should be going slower. People tend to go to fast when they lose visual clues about their speed.
We interrupt this program for a commercial------- Just a side note. The only time you are supposed to use your flashers is when you are stopped, not moving. Many people turn on their flashers in slow moving traffic, including truckers, but I'm pretty sure this is considered a "moving" violation.

Now back to your previously scheduled program........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
dandiver said:
We interrupt this program for a commercial------- Just a side note. The only time you are supposed to use your flashers is when you are stopped, not moving. Many people turn on their flashers in slow moving traffic, including truckers, but I'm pretty sure this is considered a "moving" violation.

Now back to your previously scheduled program........
Dan, I'm sure you are absolutely correct about this. But........ using flashers while riding 20 mph down the interstate sure beats getting whacked in the ass by an 18 wheeler going 60! It would take a hard nose SOB LEO to give a ticket in a case like this. I'm sure they are out there though.

Probably the best thing to do would be to pull WAY off the freeway (on the other side of the guard rail) and park until the fog clears but not always practical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am trying to visualise what part of your body the LEO would hand the ticket to after being hit by a 40 ton truck doing 60 whilst you are virtually stopped !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ari,

The brake modulator is not "oficially" legal here either, but I have passed the obligatory bi-anual government sponsored vehicle road worthy test with no problems and neither have any LEO´s questioned me about it.

On a side note, what the government here are thinking about doing is to make it obligatory to install a brake light on the riders helmet ( or passengers ) so that following drivers have a better view of the bikes brakes and the riders intentions.

Makes sense, but will be a pain for anybody coming here on holiday on their bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
simoncharles said:
... On a side note, what the government here are thinking about doing is to make it obligatory to install a brake light on the riders helmet ( or passengers ) so that following drivers have a better view of the bikes brakes and the riders intentions...
I talked with a fellow at the m/c accessories shop in Tellico Plains, TN who had done that to his helmet. He bought a flashing LED conspicuity product intended for bicyclists, and taped it to the back of his helmet.

I recently bought a stocking stuffer for myself at a local high-end bicycle shop. It is the same thing as above, but it's intended to be mounted beneath the bicyclists's seat; it has an annoyingly-bright strobe pattern of 3 LEDs, or can be on fulltime. My plan is to keep it in my toolkit and use it when I am parked at the side of the road for a breakdown or other unplanned stop along a busy road. It has a clip for attaching to a belt or strap, or could simple be placed on the top case for temporary use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
hschisler said:
I talked with a fellow at the m/c accessories shop in Tellico Plains, TN who had done that to his helmet. He bought a flashing LED conspicuity product intended for bicyclists, and taped it to the back of his helmet.

I recently bought a stocking stuffer for myself at a local high-end bicycle shop. It is the same thing as above, but it's intended to be mounted beneath the bicyclists's seat; it has an annoyingly-bright strobe pattern of 3 LEDs, or can be on fulltime. My plan is to keep it in my toolkit and use it when I am parked at the side of the road for a breakdown or other unplanned stop along a busy road. It has a clip for attaching to a belt or strap, or could simple be placed on the top case for temporary use.
That is an excellent idea Howard. :thumb:

I've carried this small Rothco for about 20 years in my took kit, powered by 1 D cell battery, visible 360 degrees for a mile. I also take it with me whenever I go into the back country, along with a seriously loud all metal whistle that can be heard for 1/4 mile stuck to the magnet mount on the side. Both can be life savers.

VERY tough ABS casing and polycarbonate lense, has a safety pin clip so can be mounted just about anywhere - $14.95:

Made in the USA and ISO 9001 Certified.

Rothco GI Type Red Emergency Strobe Light 718 | ArmyNavyUSA.com
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,241 Posts
dandiver said:
We interrupt this program for a commercial------- Just a side note. The only time you are supposed to use your flashers is when you are stopped, not moving. Many people turn on their flashers in slow moving traffic, including truckers, but I'm pretty sure this is considered a "moving" violation.

Now back to your previously scheduled program........
You might be right but I've seen signs on highways advising the use of flashers for slow moving vehicles. I guess it varies from state to state.

then there is this...http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/api/html/bill/S1960
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,819 Posts
RonKMiller said:
That is an excellent idea Howard. :thumb:

I've carried this small Rothco for about 20 years in my took kit, powered by 1 D cell battery, visible 360 degrees for a mile. I also take it with me whenever I go into the back country, along with a seriously loud all metal whistle that can be heard for 1/4 mile stuck to the magnet mount on the side. Both can be life savers.

VERY tough ABS casing and polycarbonate lense, has a safety pin clip so can be mounted just about anywhere - $14.95:

Made in the USA and ISO 9001 Certified.

Rothco GI Type Red Emergency Strobe Light 718 | ArmyNavyUSA.com
Great idea, Ron, and it has the advantage of being seen for 360 degrees. It looks very much like what we had attached to PFDs when I was in the USCG. Could be invaluable when standing on the side of the road!

The web site I provided the link to has other products for bicyclists that could be adapted for use by motorcyclists, including some tail lights that have 220-degree visibility. Not suitable for backpacking, but some additional options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
hschisler said:
Great idea, Ron, and it has the advantage of being seen for 360 degrees. It looks very much like what we had attached to PFDs when I was in the USCG. Could be invaluable when standing on the side of the road!

The web site I provided the link to has other products for bicyclists that could be adapted for use by motorcyclists, including some tail lights that have 220-degree visibility. Not suitable for backpacking, but some additional options.
Yep, that's the exact same unit, but minus the on/off switch. The top on mine (and presumably the ones you used) screws down to turn it on, making it waterproof instead of water resistant.

Oddly enough I've also used it a few times when flying an aircraft at night that doesn't have strobe lights - just slap it on and you're (kind of) legal.;)
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top