BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one for the gurus, I think
Dave S. - are you listening?????????

Had the Remus street exhaust and Rhinewest chip (V2 I think) installed, and like the new response and sound, however, the wife (the true boss of the house) does not like the look or the sound. I was wondering if anyone knows what I can expect if I change the exhaust back to stock, but leave the chip in?

Bike is and 02 LTC with 36K

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
I'm not Dave, but you should read this thread. That may help solve your noise issue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Chip

There are two different chips one for stock and one for Remus, I would give Rhinewest a call they could answer better than anyone

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
bassj said:
There are two different chips one for stock and one for Remus, I would give Rhinewest a call they could answer better than anyone
Yup, agreed - and they're open on Mondays, btw.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you want to sell the Remus pipe?
I am looking for a used one?
How much if so?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the chip and pipe used from another member of the site. I will be removing the Remus and trying to sell, but I'm not sure about the chip until I talk to Rhinewest.

·
Registered
300 Posts
How Much $$ For The Pipe?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I purchased a Rhinewest chip for my 2000 LT last year at CCR 2005. I immediately enjoyed the benefit of a very noticeable increase in throttle response and power, particularly in the 3000 to 6000 rpm range. For me, this is just what the doctor ordered. I wanted a midrange torque increase for easier pulling of my Hannigan trailer. I consistently obtain 60 mpg pulling the trailer and riding two-up. When I departed CCR 2005 (Jackson Lake Lodge) to return home, my first gas fill-up was at Buffalo, Wyoming and was exactly 240 miles from the lodge; I used 4.0 gallons. I was very pleased to get 60 mpg especially considering the route took me up to 9400' elevation going across the Little Bighorn range and at speeds between 60-75 mph. I only occassionally downshifted to 4th and used 3rd a couple of times due to the necessity to reduce speed on a series of switchbacks. I did not purchase the exhaust system because the data from Rhinewest indicated the chip provided a significantly greater power/dollar benefit than the exhaust, and I did not want an increase in noise. Despite some of the naysayers on this forum, I believe Rhinewest's claim of 7-8 horsepower and 9-10 lb/ft of torque for the chip are legitimate. This is my personal observation, which has been supported by others who have ridden and compared my LT to their "non-chipped" LT's.

I doubt you would experience any performance decrease if you removed the Remus exhaust and replaced it with your stock system unless you are running 6000 to 8000 rpm on a regular basis.

Hope this helps with your evaluation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts