BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing a Rhine West. I would be interested in the experiences from fellow riders if this chip or any other. Is the juice worth the squeeze... and also -- thoughts on ease/difficulty of installation.
As always, thanks in advance for the advice.
BTW: everyone's input on two other now-completed projects: Garmin/ Scala G-4/SM10. &. Moto Lights, have resulted in flawless operation. Thanks again for the guidance.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm thinking about doin this also. I'm wonderin, what does the chip do?
If all it does is adj. the fuel, would a power comander be as good, better, worse?

I can tell you about the install. It's just like changin the air filter.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Lots of discussion about the RhineWest chip and after market exhaust combo with chip deep in the archives. I don't have personal experience, but using the search function you should be able to find first generation LT owner's posts about doing this.

From what I recall the chip alone doesn't do much. Subjectively, the Remus exhaust + RhineWest chip reportedly made a noticeable difference.

Some folks liked louder exhaust, others didn't like it.

There even be dyno information here in the archives.

It isn't a big difference, I think that the change with the 2005 year models was a much bigger performance gain than the more modest improvement with the chip upgrade.

Folks who did it would generally say they liked the improvement, but then they just spent the money and the alternative is buyer's remorse.

A couple of links in an earlier post: http://piratesk12site.net/K1200LT Chip.htm

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
You should check with Rhine West in San Antonio as regards the model years for which they designed the chip. IIRC, sometime in the early 20xx model years, a change in cam spocket design replaced the installation of the chip. Coinciding with an engine upgrade by BMW, the chip no longer provided the advantage that it did for early model years of the LT. Talk with Jim at Rhine West if you call.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page. It's great for me, I don't do well with the search tab.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts