BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the K1600 forum, but haven't found it yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that we/some/me are beating this to death so here is my input. After trying out several, including a sponsor of this site, RKA. ( I have owned several of their different bags) I have come up with measurements that I need for MY tank bag.

All that I am trying to do is replace the small compartment that was on my K1200LT. I don't store much, but having it handy, along with a clear vinyl map compartment, is all that I want.

It does not have to expand and if it is 7 X 10 X 3, it would hold everything and not touch the handlebars nor would it be in the way of instruments. A quick easy off would help with fueling.

Actually the small RKA without the top expanding compartment would work if enough K1600 riders wanted it and could convince Richard and Kathy to take it to market.

I have search and I guess this is my elusive windmill.....

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I couldn't find one meeting my size requirements either. I found, what may have been a purse/fanny pack at Eddie Bauer (7" X8" X 3"), sewed (speedy sticher) 4 diagonal velcro straps on, glued a non slip rubber pad on the bottom (I think it's used for lining kitchen cupboards) and called it good.

I know you have this beautiful 1600 now, maybe it's time to trash it up a bit. Come on, do it, live a little.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've found a few that are close and one that is almost right on the mark, except that it is held on with magnets. It is only $40.00 but out of stock.

If I can't find anything else, I'll probably get it and have my local para rigger sew on a few straps.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Will 7x10x4 work for you? If so, the small RKA will do the trick. Yes it expands but I never use that feature. Rick will have to modify the straps for the K1600 which he did for me. Works great and won’t interfere with controls or visibility. Also comes with a small map pocket which can be a little awkward to use due to size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug,

That is as close as I've gotten and it is a very well made tank bag. I actually had that one (sent it back) and as I told Richard of RKA, get rid of the part that expands and put the vinyl map pocket on top, and you will have the perfect tank bag for the K1600GTL. Then it would be 3" high. As it stands, it's really almost 5" and hits the handlebar.

Hitting the handle bar is not a real problem, it's just that I don't need the space and it get in the way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Finding the perfect tank bag may be a bigger challenge than one might anticipate. I really like the BMW tank bag for many reasons but the one drawback for me is the rear height. I am not able to get the forward lean that I like as the tank bag hits me in the chest. There is no handlebar interference on my GT.

Don S

·
Registered
7 Posts
dasmith59 said:
Finding the perfect tank bag may be a bigger challenge than one might anticipate. I really like the BMW tank bag for many reasons but the one drawback for me is the rear height. I am not able to get the forward lean that I like as the tank bag hits me in the chest. There is no handlebar interference on my GT.

Don S
I just ordered one of these. I'll make a decision on whether or not this is an issue for me before I leave my dealer's lot. Good heads up.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
katnapinn said:
I'm going to look into this for me. I do not like tank bags, But this would be a good option. The measurements are only about an inch wider then the GTL handle bars. I'm hoping Lone Star has one in stock for me to look at Tuesday.
Let me know if you find anything. I'm definitely checking this out and if the price isn't too bad, might just order one. I liked the K1200LT's small compartment that was just above the tank and with a map case, that was all that I needed.

I really do like RKA's small tank bag but it just stands up to high for me. I'm going to see what this custom bag would cost minus the top 3 inches.

·
IBR# 366
16,574 Posts
jkersh1 said:
You might want to consider a custom made tank bag. One such vendor is Linda T at:

http://www.customtankbags.com/
I've used Linda's products before and she makes good stuff.

She's a one-woman shop, so sometimes she does get busy, but it's worth the wait. And if you're very clear in your description, she'll make you exactly what you need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
DanDiver said:
Let me know if you find anything. I'm definitely checking this out and if the price isn't too bad, might just order one. I liked the K1200LT's small compartment that was just above the tank and with a map case, that was all that I needed.

I really do like RKA's small tank bag but it just stands up to high for me. I'm going to see what this custom bag would cost minus the top 3 inches.
I use one of these on my RT (handle bar bags that is) and whilst they are great for stuff you need - but not every day - they are really too fumbly for stuff you need at every stop. I keep my air-valve adapter, oil key and visor cleaner stuff in there as well as my connections for USB charging etc. Quite a bit of stuff, but every time I need to find something its a scramble with just about everything needing to come out to find it!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My goal is the small RKA bag for the GTL without the top 3" and a map pocket cover.. If they can make that, I'll be happy. We'll see.

·
Registered
112 Posts
DanDiver said:
My goal is the small RKA bag for the GTL without the top 3" and a map pocket cover.. If they can make that, I'll be happy. We'll see.
I asked earlier and my request was declined, "no demand". So maybe your request will help?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
realworld51 said:
I asked earlier and my request was declined, "no demand". So maybe your request will help?
I've been asking Richard of RKA and emailing him for at least 4-5 months. He tells me the same thing, "No demand."

·
Registered
14 Posts
DanDiver said:
I've been asking Richard of RKA and emailing him for at least 4-5 months. He tells me the same thing, "No demand."
It is just a matter if using the right words then. Just call Richard up and say "I DEMAND" that you make me the tank bag I want. :D :dance: :dance:

BTW - I will take one too. And I do like the side case bags I bought from RKA.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone else have an interest in this tank bag? I'll send a list to Richard. Maybe he'll be interested too.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts