BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Leaving Ohio to take a little trip to Rhode Island for some clam chowder and would like any suggestions on a west to east route somewhat parallel to interstate 80 through Pennsylvania? Would prefer a secondary type road, I have checked the map for a few options, but thought I would ask the board.

Also whats your favorite place for clam chowder!

Thanks
Glen

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
A good alternate to I-80 for a easterly route is US-6. It will run you across PA without the interstate hassle. Taken that many times, in fact took it westward going to CCR this year. Be careful where you cross to US-6 from I-80 there are some rural route(s) that look good through state forests but not good during hunting season. :histerica

You could get onto I-84 in Northern PA (Scranton) and then back to US-6 in NY and go over Bear Mountain near West Point. If you make it back to I-84 in eastern NY using the Taconic Parkway you can cross Connecticut via I-84 to make it to Northern RI or to stay closer to the Ocean (eventually) use CT-9 from I-84 to take you closer to RI avoiding the I-95 traffic in lower Connecticut.

If you have lots of time US 6 will take you most of the way. You can avoid the larger cities by using I-84.

The favorite place for chowder is just over the Maine line on US-1 :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Route 6 is the best way to go. Early morning and early evening are dangerous times due to deer crossing the roads. Years ago there was a clam shack called Leo's just east of the Cape Cod Canal in Buzzard's Bay. The web says it's now a breakfast joint but I recall the fried clams and chowder as being some of the best I've tasted.

Have a great ride!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Leo's is just over the border in Mass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts