BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm (hopefully) about one week away from joining this fraternity, so I'm spending lots of hours soaking up all the wisdom I can glean from these forums. I'm instantly impressed by the community behind the LT that I've never sensed with any other motorcycle.

At this point I've whittled down the market to one bike for sale at a dealer 2 hrs away: '03 LT-C with 15k mi, a left side drop with some scuffs on the front & rear bumpers, the CB package (possibly full-blown ComSys but not sure yet), asking $12.5k.

I'm compiling a list of things to check for pre-sale to make sure I don't blow my budget on the bike, only to have major out-of-pocket expenses that I will then not be able to afford. I'm a little concerned that I'm rolling the dice with the rear drive failure, clutch slave cylinder failure and rear gasket failure. Pretty much everything I've seen is "buckle your chin strap and cross your fingers."

Is there any kind of list of preventive measures that's been compiled? (I've searched forums and read FAQs already). For example, is it worth removing the clutch slave cylinder and drilling that hole *before* the seal fails? Should I put some hi-temp caulking or heat-shrink tubing on the clutch banjo fitting that may be prone to rusting? Doesn't sound like there's anything to do about rear drive failure except keep a good relationship with the dealer in case you need a favor re: warranty coverage.

My wife is, sadly, not as enthusiastic about motorcycling as I am...I will probably hear about every dollar spent on maintenance instead of the college fund, etc. So I'm hoping to minimize those dollars through preventive maintenance and as much of my own wrench-turning as I can handle.

TIA everyone,

Dave

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Ask

dtnicks said:
Hello all,

I'm (hopefully) about one week away from joining this fraternity, so I'm spending lots of hours soaking up all the wisdom I can glean from these forums. I'm instantly impressed by the community behind the LT that I've never sensed with any other motorcycle.

At this point I've whittled down the market to one bike for sale at a dealer 2 hrs away: '03 LT-C with 15k mi, a left side drop with some scuffs on the front & rear bumpers, the CB package (possibly full-blown ComSys but not sure yet), asking $12.5k.

I'm compiling a list of things to check for pre-sale to make sure I don't blow my budget on the bike, only to have major out-of-pocket expenses that I will then not be able to afford. I'm a little concerned that I'm rolling the dice with the rear drive failure, clutch slave cylinder failure and rear gasket failure. Pretty much everything I've seen is "buckle your chin strap and cross your fingers."

Is there any kind of list of preventive measures that's been compiled? (I've searched forums and read FAQs already). For example, is it worth removing the clutch slave cylinder and drilling that hole *before* the seal fails? Should I put some hi-temp caulking or heat-shrink tubing on the clutch banjo fitting that may be prone to rusting? Doesn't sound like there's anything to do about rear drive failure except keep a good relationship with the dealer in case you need a favor re: warranty coverage.

My wife is, sadly, not as enthusiastic about motorcycling as I am...I will probably hear about every dollar spent on maintenance instead of the college fund, etc. So I'm hoping to minimize those dollars through preventive maintenance and as much of my own wrench-turning as I can handle.

TIA everyone,

Dave
ASK your dealer the "new purchase date" of the '03 LT you're looking to purchase. I didn't do that. That date will tell you if the warranty is still in effect. 3 years from that date. I'm seriuosly thinking of extending the warranty on my '03 LT.

Take your wife a ride and I'll bet she changes her opinion of this bike. It's like none other.

Good luck and happy riding after you close the deal. You won't be sorry.

Just my .02 worth!

Here is an early Welcometo this community!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
dtnicks said:
----------- For example, is it worth removing the clutch slave cylinder and drilling that hole *before* the seal fails?
YES, if you are willing to do the work to get to it. Many dealers won't do it, but the more "outside the book" knowledgeable ones will.
Should I put some hi-temp caulking or heat-shrink tubing on the clutch banjo fitting that may be prone to rusting?
That is not a really common problem, but anything that will prevent rust would do, there are spray products on the market that would work, or just lightly coat it with a heavy grease.
Doesn't sound like there's anything to do about rear drive failure except keep a good relationship with the dealer in case you need a favor re: warranty coverage.
Pretty much correct. There is no preventive maintenance that helps. See if the dealer will make you a decent deal on an extened service contract.
With a service manual, reasonable mechanical aptitude, and the HUGE amount of help available here, you can do as much as you want to. Check into local "service parties" held around the country, where you can learn a LOT just by watching.

TIA everyone,

Dave

·
Registered
659 Posts
Pinnacle seems to be one of the top-rated xtended warranty providers. The dealer SHOULD cut you a bit of a deal. I only got the $70 admin fee removed, but I didn't press him too hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts