BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to show some pictures of how I attached my "Pelican" 1510 case as a top box. I'm still working on a lockable version, but all the keys I can find are cheap crap.

Works great, solid as a rock on the rack and makes a great waterproof storage that's not as tall as most top boxes..

I just set the case on the rack. Pull the locking pin down and slide the case forward until the pin catches..

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just wanted to show some pictures of how I attached my "Pelican" 1510 case as a top box. I'm still working on a lockable version, but all the keys I can find are cheap crap.

Works great, solid as a rock on the rack and makes a great waterproof storage that's not as tall as most top boxes..

I just set the case on the rack. Pull the locking pin down and slide the case forward until the pin catches..

Cheers
I did something similar with a smaller locking SEAHORSE case except it looks like you fabricated a custom mounting plate to the luggage rack which is cool. I just used 3 screws with brackets from the inside and then some straps for extra insurance. I can remove it in a couple of minutes but getting it back on takes a bit longer. I keep it on the bike most of the time. When I go on a longer trip I will swap it out for the BMW OEM case but I have to put something in front of the BMW case to avoid the drag it causes. I feel no drag with the smaller Seahorse case and it holds most of what I need for a 1 day ride.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I almost got (and had in prior cycles) a 33 Trekker box.

It sits sideways and does not stick out as much as the Pelican does.

its a great box

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nice thing about the pelican case with retractable handle is I'm attaching to the exterior of the case. No holes go through the shell. There's a back plate that the handle slides in. Just enough blank spaces for the hardware. I had to cut a bit of the handle out for the third center hold down but it's soft plastic that mills easy. All I do to remove or lock the case to the bike is pull the spring loaded latch and slide the case out. All of 5 seconds, and I'm ready to get in the plane or ride away. Very happy with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mounting plate is just a stock sheet of AL, that I marked and cut with a jigsaw. Then cleaned the edges up a bit on the belt sander. Drilled the holes in the AL plate first , then transferred them to the Pelican. Stepped the holes up with a stepper bit. Then drilled the "notch" out and trimmed it with the dremel.

Getting the holes to align up was a bit fiddely, but at most 3 hours in the shop. I drilled the 3rd center hole out with the wrong bit so I had to go up one size with "tee nut" other than that easy as pie.

I cut the "tee nuts" down with a dremel so they squeeze the pelican just a wee bit, incase I don't get the spring clip to lock, there's still a bit of friction holding the box down..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own my own audio company and i find ways to to attach my 1510 to my bikes. I had a K75, but this year I upgraded to R1200RT I would love to get/ make ones of these. Now you got me thinking.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been looking for a small weatherproof top case for a while now and it baffles me that Shad and Givi have not acknowledged the market for a small aerodynamic day ride case in say 5 or 10 liters that doesn't look like a big bubble attached to the azz end of the bike. The seahorse looks ok but I'm not crazy about the style or the mounting. I really like the smuggler style case that comes in the gunfighter seat from Corbin but $1000? Nope.

Guess I'll have to brush up on my fiberglasss skills and make what I want.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've been looking for a small weatherproof top case for a while now and it baffles me that Shad and Givi have not acknowledged the market for a small aerodynamic day ride case in say 5 or 10 liters that doesn't look like a big bubble attached to the azz end of the bike. The seahorse looks ok but I'm not crazy about the style or the mounting. I really like the smuggler style case that comes in the gunfighter seat from Corbin but $1000? Nope.

Guess I'll have to brush up on my fiberglasss skills and make what I want.

I have a couple of suggestion for you (and I feel your pain)

1. I have this RTP old box which I use quite frequently. I have a method of strapping it from the inside through the grab bars by the seat. It would sit right on top of the rear seat. If you even consider this option, I would take a pic of it on my bike and send it to you. I can't seem to find a pic of my bike with this box on, though I know I had several...anyways.

2. Option two is a 33 Trekker which you 'll to get a rack for. Again, I 'll send you all the info on this option if you like but you can get it yaself from Twisted Throttle (where I bought this one and the other two I had in a previous RT and an FJR)

I like this box because it does not seem to catch as much air as the hibatchi-shaped-ones and its easy to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the info, pics are very blurry and I can't make them out. Is that an ex-police bike box? If so, not really interested in that. I'll check into the "Trekker".

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep, just checked that out. Too big and too expensive. Looking for a small case to put coffee mug, glasses, papers, etc in. I have Saddlemen tour pack for long trips but its about 20" high!

Thanks, but the search continues.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yep, just checked that out. Too big and too expensive. Looking for a small case to put coffee mug, glasses, papers, etc in. I have Saddlemen tour pack for long trips but its about 20" high!

Thanks, but the search continues.
Yo Lee,
Not trying to push anything on you, but I put the cop box on my bike just to give you a better perspective.
This is the box where all the electronic boards that control the RPT blue/while/siren Christmas trees.

I use it quite frequently cause I just like it. Its less drag than any topcase cause it sits on the rear seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for that. Looks pretty good. Does it lock? And are they sold new or just used or what? Thanks again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts