BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will probably get moved, but....
I have a 2007 LT with VOICE II. I have been struggling with all sorts of hook ups to wire the phone to the bike. I have a PALM Treo 750. I could hear fine, but tehy could only hear me some times, mainly when at a stand still. WHat I found was that when they could hear me, it was actually through the mic on the phoone, NOT the bike. Even though I had side tone.

I had the BMW cell phone cord, BUT it is only a 3 conductor cord which works on most older phones. The TREO 700 and 750 and some other newer phones use a 4 conductor plug. AHHHHHHH the mic was never "wired" to the bike. BMW has an adapter obscurly placed in the accessories catalogue (last years) the adapts phones that have 4 pin requirements for the earbud to the BMW 3 pin. I have ordered one, (27 bucks) and hopefully, it will work.

Milton Geltz
05 K1200S
06 Bergman
07 LT
05 Rumble Bee
05 Viper Ram
02 TA Ram Air

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am glad that you posted this. I have an 07 and my phone is a Verizon Pocket PC that have been trying to connect to the Voice II with same problem. I have to check on the pin number did not know it was a differance in connectors out there :)

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I just use my older phone and fit my sim card. A good helmet is crucial for wind noise reduction at speed to use a phone with any clarity.

Dean

·
Registered
385 Posts
steeler34 said:
I had the BMW cell phone cord, BUT it is only a 3 conductor cord which works on most older phones. The TREO 700 and 750 and some other newer phones use a 4 conductor plug. AHHHHHHH the mic was never "wired" to the bike. BMW has an adapter obscurly placed in the accessories catalogue (last years) the adapts phones that have 4 pin requirements for the earbud to the BMW 3 pin. I have ordered one, (27 bucks) and hopefully, it will work.
Milton,

Do you have the part number? I have a Verizon PDA & am wondering if I'm having the same problem you were. People can't hear me.

Kevin

·
Registered
440 Posts
steeler34 said:
I know this will probably get moved, but....
I have a 2007 LT with VOICE II. I have been struggling with all sorts of hook ups to wire the phone to the bike. I have a PALM Treo 750. I could hear fine, but tehy could only hear me some times, mainly when at a stand still. WHat I found was that when they could hear me, it was actually through the mic on the phoone, NOT the bike. Even though I had side tone.

Milton Geltz
05 K1200S
06 Bergman
07 LT
05 Rumble Bee
05 Viper Ram
02 TA Ram Air
I have the same problem trying to use a Treo 700p with the J&M intercom in a 2005. Does anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was curious about this 3 vs 4 pin issue. I confirmed that the Treo 700p uses 3 pins. I tried a 3 pin wired cellphone headset on the Treo and it worked fine. Then I plugged the Treo into my '07 LT (just sitting in the garage) with the BMW 3 pin cable and verified that the microphone in the headset is definitely working into the phone.

That said, the few times I've tried to actually use the phone I've been able to hear others but all they hear is a lot of noise. I've assumed it is just because of the ambient sound of the bike, etc. and using an open face helmet that doesn't shield the mic at all. I would love to find out that is wrong and that there actually is some alternative solution so others could hear me.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Minor hijack

deancardey said:
A good helmet is crucial for wind noise reduction at speed to use a phone with any clarity.
Depends on the intercom system, actually. I often talk on the phone while riding. And the other party doesn't know that I'm on a bike. And I have a flip-up Nolan . . . not the quietest helmet. I talked to David Taylor while doing 130mph across southeast California. Ask him about the clarity. ;)

·
Registered
495 Posts
The only thing that really scares me more that a Mom with a minivan full of kids on a cell phone, is using one on a bike. Nothing is more important than keeping your mind on what you are doing while riding... just my $0.02 :cool:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
bflemingor said:
The only thing that really scares me more that a Mom with a minivan full of kids on a cell phone, is using one on a bike. Nothing is more important than keeping your mind on what you are doing while riding... just my $0.02 :cool:
There was a time (not too long ago) when I would have whole-heartedly agreed. But trust me, it makes a huge difference when you're just talking into a headset that's installed in your helmet. No different than talking to my wife sitting behind me via intercom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts