BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a (1) waterproof, (2) properly sized for the rear seat, (3) top opening, (4) multi - tie down capable (not requiring several cross straps) and (5) reasonably priced bag for the passenger seat for my 01 LT.

I located some that were great except they were not waterproof and required an additional weather cover. I found others that were waterproof and center opening but had limited tie down points built in. Helen Two Wheel bags may be the best compromise unless someone has a better option.

Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've got a big Helen Two Wheel bag and it's great. Waterproof, just the right size, good workmanship, 2 thumbs up.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I bought a Chicane duffel bag at CCR last year. It is waterproof, holds a lot of stuff and is easy to tie on the seat if you do the following mod: (This suits of course to other bags as well.)

Take a piece - of what they call it - tie strap belt or ---you know the type of belt with locks at one end...

Anyway just use the belt itself. This belt you will put under your rear seat so that you will have two loops. One at both end, next to the saddlebag handles. You can sew the loop or if you don't know how, just tie a knot :p
Now you will have a place to fasten your duffel bag with one tie strap on either side and you are not using your saddlebag handles as it is a PITA to have access to saddlebags and every time undo the straps.

Worked for me across two continents...

Regards

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
lnowell said:
I am looking for a (1) waterproof, (2) properly sized for the rear seat, (3) top opening, (4) multi - tie down capable (not requiring several cross straps) and (5) reasonably priced bag for the passenger seat for my 01 LT.

I located some that were great except they were not waterproof and required an additional weather cover. I found others that were waterproof and center opening but had limited tie down points built in. Helen Two Wheel bags may be the best compromise unless someone has a better option.

Thanks
The one I bought does require the cover , but it did come with it. You might want to take a look at it.

http://motorcycle-luggage.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ML&Product_Code=MLGWS-450

Ron

·
Registered
350 Posts
lnowell said:

Thanks
I occasionally use a Kuryakyn Grantour bag. Two straps under the rear seat and they are easily removable with the velcro straps. It has a built in backrest pad which is a bonus. Comes with a nice lock and rain fly. I used it in light rain without the fly and had no water issues - I doubt you would have any problems until it was pouring.

Tim

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
When I ride solo, I put my Kathy's Rack Bag on the pillion seat and use the shoulder strap to tie it down to the pillion seat. I also have the Strap 'n Go straps that I lock it down from front to read. And the Kathy's is waterproof, but I used some tent seam sealer where it is sown together and have yet to have wet clothes. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
zaphod said:
I've got a big Helen Two Wheel bag and it's great. Waterproof, just the right size, good workmanship, 2 thumbs up.
Absolutely agree. Bought one last year for the trip to CCR at my BMW dealer. They are available in different sizes, too, and can make a nice backrest. I strapped mine to the rear seat and pillion handholds; didn't move an inch, and kept everything dry through 6 straight hours of rain and one biblical thunderstorm.

·
Registered
698 Posts
zaphod said:
I'll second that. I've got a couple of her bags and a set of straps that are made for the LT. Work great. No reason to change.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
was said:
Check out canoe/kayak websites, they have a ton of waterproof bag options at reasonable prices. For instance, one of these may meet your needs: http://www.seallinegear.com/packs.asp?Action=WideMouthDuffle&Category=PacksDuffles
A friend of mine here in Augusta sent me this same link a couple of days ago. I ordered one ( 12 x 12 x 23 ) and it should be here tomorrow. $66.90 delivered.

Thanks to everyone that all for the suggestions. I still may purchase the H-2-W bag in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts