BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I decided to swap the passenger seat backs on my 01 and 03. the screws came out as planned on the 01 but one of the nuts is loose and sideways in the trunk lid but that is an easy fix. The question is where does the seat back heater wire run to? Where is the plug and how much disassembly do I need to do to get at it?

This change over is not important but since I put the comfort touch passenger seat on the 03, I would like to have the backrests match.
Larry

·
Registered
656 Posts
lkniess said:
OK, so I decided to swap the passenger seat backs on my 01 and 03. the screws came out as planned on the 01 but one of the nuts is loose and sideways in the trunk lid but that is an easy fix. The question is where does the seat back heater wire run to? Where is the plug and how much disassembly do I need to do to get at it?

This change over is not important but since I put the comfort touch passenger seat on the 03, I would like to have the backrests match.
Larry
Behind the left hand Speaker housing you'll find the plug

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
I forgot exactly where the plug is but I recall the whole process was easy and you will easily figure it out as you take things apart.
Your passenger will notice that there is less space for her due to the thicker so-called comfort touch backrest. This may or may not be a problem, depending on the build of said passenger, but it will make a difference. Be sure to have the top case in the rearmost position to help a bit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, How do I get to it?
I suppose looking at the Clymers makes sense but asking is easier if the project is simple.
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
656 Posts
lkniess said:
OK, How do I get to it?
I suppose looking at the Clymers makes sense but asking is easier if the project is simple.
Thanks
Larry
Unscrew the 12 screws inside the trunk lid and don't forget the 3-4 down by the hinge you'll see how the screws are arranged around the circumference of the speaker housing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked closer and realize that several of the little screws are already missing so I decided to leave it alone. I am considering cutting the wires and tucking them. I do not think that anyone would ever miss the heater. My wife still refuses to mount this beast so the heater may never become an issue and the same goes for the thicker backrest. This is for the sake of cosmetics more than heat or comfort!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Don't give up on changing out the back rest. You may, like I have done, found a co-worker who likes to ride. Always willing to ride.

Interestingly, my wife has a sort of renewed interest in riding of late.......

On a really nice day, 72.6* F, no rain, no clouds, no wind, the sun shining from behind us during the entire ride so it isn't shining in her eyes, and the traffic is light, and the road is straight with no curves which require "tipping" to negotiate the curve, then she is good to go.

Loren

·
Registered
656 Posts
lkniess said:
I looked closer and realize that several of the little screws are already missing so I decided to leave it alone. I am considering cutting the wires and tucking them. I do not think that anyone would ever miss the heater. My wife still refuses to mount this beast so the heater may never become an issue and the same goes for the thicker backrest. This is for the sake of cosmetics more than heat or comfort!
Just go to a hardware store and get replacement screws its not a big deal

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,169 Posts
You can also remove the top case if you won't have a pillion and don't have much need for the storage it provides.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts