BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my wife, Rina and myself went for a 2 hour test ride on the K1600GTL. Since there has been so many rider impressions of the bike I thought I would provide a passengers perspective.
To start with a brief background for other passenger comparisons, Rina is 5'7" tall and is about 128 lbs, (this is going to cost me). She has been a passenger for the last 11 years on the 99 and present 05 LT. We ride 15,000 to 18,000 KM a year throughout Canada and the US.
Today the temperature started out cool at 3 degrees C, (37 F) and here are some of her observations:
-she wanted to plug her electric vest in but could not easily access the connection located under the front portion of the seat next to the battery, (I had to fumble around to plug it in, not a good start).
-she found it easy to get on the bike but stated extra caution had to be made as not to drag or kick the side cases.
-the side cases at first felt a little more obtrusive or close to the back of her lower legs but adjusted to that, (she did wonder if that would become an issue on longer all day rides)
-she found the wind protection good but felt more air swirling around in front of her as she sat further back with more space between us then on the LT
-she did not notice the space or void at the back of the passenger seat as she thought she might, her jacket seemed to fill that extra space.
-she does sit higher and does not have to look around me any more to see what is directly in front, not sure if she likes this or not, (the bike had the higher one piece seat installed)
-the seat feels much firmer then the LT
-the overall ride when set on 2 up, comfort felt as good as the LT
The bottom line all subjective but when we got back Rina liked the bike enough that I put a deposit down.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks for the review. I was able to sit on one today and spend a lot of time looking it over. I hope to ride it in the next couple of weeks. Compared to the Goldwing, I think I'm going to like it better and my wife will like it worse. The question is how much worse.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Randy, how tall are you? My wife's biggest complaint about riding in the LT is that she cannot see over the top of my head. It looks like the passenger seat on the GLT is about two inches higher, relative to the driver's seat, than the LT, so that will help, I'm sure. Thanks for the other comments, if the overall comfort is about equal to our LT then the GLT will be in the garage as soon as it's available,

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
jjscsix said:
Thanks for the review. I was able to sit on one today and spend a lot of time looking it over. I hope to ride it in the next couple of weeks. Compared to the Goldwing, I think I'm going to like it better and my wife will like it worse. The question is how much worse.
Jim In her past life before me My wife put over 100K Pillion miles on a wing & about 25K on the LT with me. She LOVES the GTL, granted she only rode 10 miles or so but she likes that the seat is more narrow then the LT & leg position was better then the LT. She did miss the Armrests but we will get some as soon as they become available.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dmacd said:
Randy, how tall are you? My wife's biggest complaint about riding in the LT is that she cannot see over the top of my head. It looks like the passenger seat on the GLT is about two inches higher, relative to the driver's seat, than the LT, so that will help, I'm sure. Thanks for the other comments, if the overall comfort is about equal to our LT then the GLT will be in the garage as soon as it's available,
I am 6' tall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts