BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And a bright good morning from the cold Heartland. May I impose with a rookie question:

The winsome babe, when she consents to ride with me (not her favorite thing, but she's a pretty good sport), is very concerned about garfing up the side cases with boot marks as she hoists a leg up and over when getting on. Well, I didn't get this beast to leave it in the garage, though I treat it with care. Nevertheless, she's pretty concerned about it.

Anyhow, that leads to the question: How does your passenger get on the bike so as to do it most conveniently/safely/comfortably etc.? As for stability when she gets on, I'm not quite flatfooting this machine, though not too far off, and I'm already on the bike when she gets on. It occurred to me that we could try it with her stepping up onto her peg before getting on - presently, left foot on the ground as she gets on.

I'd be pleased to have your thoughts.

Best, John

·
Registered
81 Posts
I always have a passenger start by putting a left foot on the peg, then she can push her leg straight through. Tell her to pretend you are standing on the other side and she wants to kick you in the chest! see how that suits ya!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
When I ride two-up, I get on, start and warm up.

When it's time for my passenger to get on, I'm off the kickstand and holding the motor upright. The passenger puts a foot on the peg and onto my shoulder, then waits for me to say it's okay (once I'm ready to take the offside weight). Then it's up onto the peg, leg over, and into position. Once she's settled, we are ready to go.

If your lady can't do that without scuffing the bags, and she's really that worried about it, you can drape a bath towel over the one she bumps, so that she hits that instead of the box.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I always lean the bike slightly to the right then get them to put there left foot on the left peg and step through works for me.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
What you said and I would add the cases do come off...

Solo6 said:
When I ride two-up, I get on, start and warm up.

When it's time for my passenger to get on, I'm off the kickstand and holding the motor upright. The passenger puts a foot on the peg and onto my shoulder, then waits for me to say it's okay (once I'm ready to take the offside weight). Then it's up onto the peg, leg over, and into position. Once she's settled, we are ready to go.

If your lady can't do that without scuffing the bags, and she's really that worried about it, you can drape a bath towel over the one she bumps, so that she hits that instead of the box.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm glad someone brought this up

I ride 2-up quite often and my wife is on the heavy side so here's what I do
bike is running, I'm on the bike, I have the kichstand down ( I'm afraid of dropping the bike if she doesn't get on fast enough) I support the bike as much as possible with my left leg but the kickstand takes alot of the weight too.

she puts her left foot on peg then pushes herself up and over we even have practice sessions.
I don't want to scratch side bags but...that's the least of my worries.
It gets real interesting if we're on a hill and the kick stand leans further then normal.

I met some guy who told me his wife has an injury and can't get on the bike in the "normal' way
so she gets on the drivers saddle then slides backward

Question: the way that I described above with the kickstand down and taking alot of the weight;do you think that makes for a problem with the kickstand's integrity??

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I get bike very steady with kick stand up. She puts left foot on peg but leans her COM (center of mass) over the center of the bike as she weights the left peg and gets her right foot over the seat. I have the 49L box on so there will be no legs goin' over that.

The lean over the center of the bike counteracts the force that must be put on the left peg to mount the bike. Much more stable then standing straight up on the left peg and then getting foot/ leg over the seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Make sure you are on level ground when another passenger boards, especially if your feet don't reach the ground on both sides. Otherwise, you'll be laying on your side in about 1/2 of a second :histerica

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife also gets in the driver position first then scoots back to her seat.
The driver seat is a bit lower and a little easier to get on.If there is a kickstand
problem I haven't seen it yet but I also support the bike a bit while she gets on.

Just my 2cents :bmw:

·
Registered
287 Posts
twincruise said:
Question: the way that I described above with the kickstand down and taking alot of the weight;do you think that makes for a problem with the kickstand's integrity??
I don't think there's a problem. I get on myself with the bike on the kickstand or center stand. My dealer said that's fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To eliminate concern about boot hitting case, I put the clear film over the top of both cases to catch boot scrapes, both mine and the pillion's. It's hard to get it to sit totally flat on the leading edge, but it is smooth enough so that it stays put.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
twincruise said:
Yes -- but you can have it beefed up at any welding shop.

I would be more worried about the motor rolling forward and coming off the stand.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think the most important thing isn't HOW your pax board, but that there is proper communication WHEN they board. If you aren't ready, you're in trouble. Give specific directions what they should do and when, and if there is a problem when they step on the peg, to BACK OFF AND AWAY. It's easier to make a second attempt if you don't have to undump the motor first (don't ask how I know that).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Because my wife has some physical limitations she also gets on the bike first by getting on the driver seat and then sliding back. However, in order to avoid possible side stand loading problems we use the center stand. She holds the front brake while climbing on to avoid the possibility of rolling forward. Once she's seated I get on. I then start the engine, put the tranny in 1st and on the count of 3 we both rock forward and, assuming a clear path forward, as the wheels touch down I ease out the clutch and were on our way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts