BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I took a ride in northern PA this weekend to see the trees changing colors and to goto apple fest in Franklin PA. It seemed a little more windy than normal but not bad at all, in my opinion. We were traveling between 50 to 70 MPH most of the time. My wife was practically having a panic attack every time a cross wind hit us. I tried lowering our speed and it didn't seem to help. On the way home later she seemed to be a little calmer so I drove a bit faster and I think it seemed better. She said the wind would whip her helmet around, to the point she was supporting her helmet with her hand so she wouldn't hurt her neck. (FYI She has had neck pain from time to time in the past.) I have a standard height windshield and usually have it adjusted about 3/4 the way up. I was looking for some input on how to make her ride a little bit more comfortable. Would different windshield help this? I think she needs to relax a bit. Maybe a cocktail or two before we leave.(For her only of course) But then we would have to stop for bathroom breaks even more often.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Check that her helmet is the right size. My wife had the same problem which disappeared when we changed her helmet - and discovered the one she had been using was too big.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Interesting comments, my wife also says she really cops the wind, especially when it's from the side, whereas I rarely feel it. I too have the standard screen and run it about 75% fully up (quietest poaition). I suspect there is a swirling vortex type action going on behind me. I'm interested in what, if anything, others have done to improve the situation.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Z-technic Vstream from Mototoys in Newcastle, Dennis. I think he's the only Aus importer. Its helped Kerry a lot on the back, and it is also much better for me.... also getting a lighter BMW system 4 sports helmet (non-flip) made a huge difference for her. Took the weight off her neck.

Mototoys have a couple on Ebay at the moment, different sizes, I think they are cheaper than I paid a couple of years ago. Love mine. Here's some pics of the difference between the OEM (short Euroscreen) and Vstream on my bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JimE said:
At the suggestion of another couple we ride with, my wife started wearing
one of these and finds that it helps her a lot.

I've been checking into these (and others) as my wife has neck issues as well. I like the price versus the Leatt models. Any one else use a neck restraint? (not meaning to hi-jack the thread)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my wife has severe arthritis and has always used the (cheap) foam neck support they sell at the drug store

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you don't have them already, get her fold down armrests. She will feel more secure.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I'll second checking the fit of her helmet my fiancee had the same problems, when we first got her helmet she said it fit good and I let it go after several times of her having problems I checked the fit and sure enough, ya the helmet was comfortable all right but she could bend over and it would try to fall off she didn't know it should fit like a glove.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Mounting a soft bag (Mag's Bags - but they are no longer in biz) on the luggage rack and stuffing it will allow laminar flow to continue around the passenger's helmet.

It makes a HUGE difference in stability and especially during periods of increased turbulence. :wave

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
JimE said:
At the suggestion of another couple we ride with, my wife started wearing
one of these and finds that it helps her a lot.
Bought one for Suzanne yesterday... Will post results after she gets to try it out...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a Parabellum windshield that makes the air alot smoother over the bike and gives me better mileage than the stock windshield did. Occasionally my wife still complains in very strong cross winds, but it is much better than the stock one.

Ditto for the arm rests. She loves hers if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
There really isn't much that can be done to deflect crosswind on the pillion. By definition, it is wind coming from the side so the windshield will have little to no effect.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
cws said:
Z-technic Vstream from Mototoys in Newcastle, Dennis. I think he's the only Aus importer. Its helped Kerry a lot on the back, and it is also much better for me.... also getting a lighter BMW system 4 sports helmet (non-flip) made a huge difference for her. Took the weight off her neck.

Mototoys have a couple on Ebay at the moment, different sizes, I think they are cheaper than I paid a couple of years ago. Love mine. Here's some pics of the difference between the OEM (short Euroscreen) and Vstream on my bike.
I like the looks of this windshield. I found a picture of the wind comparison from the OEM to the VStream Z-technic. See attached picture. I'm thinking this would help with some of the side winds, as the head winds would deflect the side winds. After checking into it, I think my wifes helmet is too big. I would like to hear opinion from a few more people that have the Z-technic VStream windshield. I would probably stick with the same OEM height though.
I also see that Cee Baileys makes a Hyper-Flow Series that look almost identical.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
jmhetzel said:
I like the looks of this windshield. I found a picture of the wind comparison from the OEM to the VStream Z-technic. See attached picture. I'm thinking this would help with some of the side winds, as the head winds would deflect the side winds. After checking into it, I think my wifes helmet is too big. I would like to hear opinion from a few more people that have the Z-technic VStream windshield. I would probably stick with the same OEM height though.
I also see that Cee Baileys makes a Hyper-Flow Series that look almost identical.
I had a v stream on my bike, nowhere near as stable as the stock windshield in very strong cross wind - with stock windshield down it is as stable as my K1100LT was in strong cross winds

·
Registered
847 Posts
rhawk said:
I've used both the factory style windshield, and the Cee Bailey's #2 style.
What I found was that the Cee Bailey's doesn't need to be raised as high to deflect wind off the Pillion. I also feel that visibility is a little better.
Worth a try?
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmws1200ltno2.htm

I agree with Rand;the cee bailey #2 really helped my wife and I for the wind;

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
highroamer said:
Check that her helmet is the right size. My wife had the same problem which disappeared when we changed her helmet - and discovered the one she had been using was too big.
That was my first thought also. A properly fitting helmet will not move around in the wind and have to be held into place.

Crosswinds are annoying to be sure and will move you around, but a properly fitted helmet will make things a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
jmhetzel said:
I currently have this shield equipped. The good, very low airflow to the rider or pillion. It has been down to 34 in the mornings here lately, and I have no issues on the way to work (other than what the destination is). The bad, very low airflow to the rider and pillion. Over 85 degrees, it is too warm. Over 90, you will cook. 100 or more, ride something else. You would be best served to keep a different sheild for summer usage. As for stability, I have had no issues with instability from cross or any other winds with this shield equipped. Although I have never had a stock shield to compair it to, how the bike acts on windy days does not draw concern. (Had 40mph gusts today even).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DerVerge said:
I currently have this shield equipped. The good, very low airflow to the rider or pillion. It has been down to 34 in the mornings here lately, and I have no issues on the way to work (other than what the destination is). The bad, very low airflow to the rider and pillion. Over 85 degrees, it is too warm. Over 90, you will cook. 100 or more, ride something else. You would be best served to keep a different sheild for summer usage. As for stability, I have had no issues with instability from cross or any other winds with this shield equipped. Although I have never had a stock shield to compair it to, how the bike acts on windy days does not draw concern. (Had 40mph gusts today even).
Which make, model, and height windshield do you have?
Thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts