BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 K1200LT and 2021 R1250RT
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 21 1250RT. What modifications or aftermarket changes have those of you who ride 2up made.? My wife is 5’7”. We are moving from an LT so I need to consider how I can make our new ride more comfortable for her

thank you
Rick 21 R1250RT
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
355 Posts
The things my wife appreciated the most were lowered rear passenger floor boards, Werks Quiet ride Shield and Sargent seat. She loves the smooth quiet ride more the the HD that we owned

Reactions: rhansen

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The things my wife appreciated the most were lowered rear passenger floor boards, Werks Quiet ride Shield and Sargent seat. She loves the smooth quiet ride more the the HD that we owned
Which lowered floor boards did you use. I have only see ilium so far and I am not able to tell if they can actually be lowered past the original foot pegs. That’s the one item she said she needed before even riding it

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even though my wife is only 5' tall, she like a bit of extra height from an air cushion - it alters the knee angle
Which cushion. Air hawk or another

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
355 Posts
Which lowered floor boards did you use. I have only see ilium so far and I am not able to tell if they can actually be lowered past the original foot pegs. That’s the one item she said she needed before even riding it
I bought the Illium Works

·
Registered
184 Posts
Passenger comfort was a priority for us when we changed from two bikes to one.
We experimented with various size pads before getting a local upholstery shop to make up the one on the top box. My wife has back issues and she couldn’t ride for more than an hour at a time without this and it was a cheap mod.
The Sargent seat is immeasurably more comfortable than stock (and possibly a bit higher).
The Ilium floorboards were crazy expensive to buy up here in Canada but they seem to have made a huge difference. They’re 3/4 of an inch lower than stock and the only difference they make to me as a rider is that I have to remember to fold the lhs one when using the centre stand or else it gets in the way. My wife says the boards allow her to brace better for braking and move her feet around more for balance and comfort. She LOVES them.
(Forgot to add that she’s 5’6”)

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Passenger comfort was a priority for us when we changed from two bikes to one.
We experimented with various size pads before getting a local upholstery shop to make up the one on the top box. My wife has back issues and she couldn’t ride for more than an hour at a time without this and it was a cheap mod.
The Sargent seat is immeasurably more comfortable than stock (and possibly a bit higher).
The Ilium floorboards were crazy expensive to buy up here in Canada but they seem to have made a huge difference. They’re 3/4 of an inch lower than stock and the only difference they make to me as a rider is that I have to remember to fold the lhs one when using the centre stand or else it gets in the way. My wife says the boards allow her to brace better for braking and move her feet around more for balance and comfort. She LOVES them.
(Forgot to add that she’s 5’6”)
Wow. Thanks !, Would you be willing to send me picks about the lower back rest , dimensions and how you attached The ilium boards are what I had planned. I think for now we may try an air hawk seat for her If you prefer email. Mine is [email protected]

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
540 Posts
@rhansen : with the air cushions be prepared that it may not work for you. Lots of people like it and use it but it does not suit everyone. We went through a trial stage and ended up selling them because we could not get comfortable on the bike no matter the air amount in the cushions, my wife more so then me. What we found good is sheep skin seat covers. The factory seat works for us, almost. With the sheep skin, perfect. Just shows that every bottom is different (pun intended :D) so it may take some time to get to the sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@rhansen : with the air cushions be prepared that it may not work for you. Lots of people like it and use it but it does not suit everyone. We went through a trial stage and ended up selling them because we could not get comfortable on the bike no matter the air amount in the cushions, my wife more so then me. What we found good is sheep skin seat covers. The factory seat works for us, almost. With the sheep skin, perfect. Just shows that every bottom is different (pun intended :D) so it may take some time to get to the sweet spot.
The other option are gel pads

·
Registered
184 Posts
DIY lower back pad. We tried a top box from a K1600GTL fitted to an RT that has a larger pad fitted as standard but it pushed her too far forward. I scrounged some leftover foam and cut it down to various thicknesses until it fitted right for her. Then we got a local auto upholsterer to make the pocket in pretty close to matching vinyl for less than it would’ve cost to buy the tools to make it myself.

As you can see it’s just held on with Velcro so I can take it off and change the foam density if required. The internal foam ended up being about 1”.

·
Registered
143 Posts
@rhansen : with the air cushions be prepared that it may not work for you.
That's very true. I tried my wife's air cushion on my seat and had to stop after 15 minutes to remove it.

One thing to bear in mind is you don't need very much air in them to make a significant effect. Start small and increase it a bit at a time.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DIY lower back pad. We tried a top box from a K1600GTL fitted to an RT that has a larger pad fitted as standard but it pushed her too far forward. I scrounged some leftover foam and cut it down to various thicknesses until it fitted right for her. Then we got a local auto upholsterer to make the pocket in pretty close to matching vinyl for less than it would’ve cost to buy the tools to make it myself.

As you can see it’s just held on with Velcro so I can take it off and change the foam density if required. The internal foam ended up being about 1”.
Thank you.!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
What screen is that on your bike? Did you do many miles with the stock screen before fitting?
We have the stock one on and it’s been ok but I wonder how much better a Quiet Ride would be from the pillion pint of view.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What screen is that on your bike? Did you do many miles with the stock screen before fitting?
We have the stock one on and it’s been ok but I wonder how much better a Quiet Ride would be from the pillion pint of view.
I purchased the bike used. Previous owner had add Illium bar risers and a Werks windscreen. I like it and it seems to do a good job for my wife. I added the Wunderlich rack and both front and back tip over bars

1 - 20 of 20 Posts