BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the default position of the passenger backrest forward or back. Need more room for the wife, but wanted see if you could tell me where the factory setting was. Is it already back as far as it will go, or can it be moved back? Would be bad if I got it apart and found out I did it all for not.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Well its not the back rest that moves, it the whole trunk. You can tell if it's in the forward position by looking at the back of the trunk, it will be in line with the end of the side bags. If it's in the back position the trunk will be past the side bags by about 2 inches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Mine is even with the side bags. Guess I have some work ahead.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Very easy to do - 10 minute job.
Open the trunk and take the bottom liner out. There are a couple of clips down in the holes where the latches are located. Use a flat head screw driver to push them as you pull the liner up.
Once you get the liner out, there are four bolts. Take them out and slide the trunk back to the next set of threaded holes and screw the bolts back.

That's it.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
amarider said:
Very easy to do - 10 minute job.
Open the trunk and take the bottom liner out. There are a couple of clips down in the holes where the latches are located. Use a flat head screw driver to push them as you pull the liner up.
Once you get the liner out, there are four bolts. Take them out and slide the trunk back to the next set of threaded holes and screw the bolts back.

That's it.
A few steps John forgot to tell you are..
1 remove rear seat.( 2 bolts in front corners)

2 on the left side remove the bolt that holds the lid strap to the lower half of top box. make sure strap does not retract into roller. ( tie knot in strap)

3 unplug wires

4 You will see 4 bolts that look like the ones that hold the top case on. These need to be moved to the front holes.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Why would you remove the back seat or unplug the wires if your just sliding the trunk back? I would understand if you were going to remove the trunk but just sliding it back?
I have done a few without removing the trunk just slide it on the back seat, move the bolts and reattach.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
IIRC the instructions for removal are in the owner's manual.

If you're handy this is an easy, diy mod for literally just a few dollars that will allow two inches of extra space. The stock most aft position allows roughly an extra inch.

DO NOT forget to omit the spacers I mentioned or you will be buying a VERY expensive new trunk! :eek:

Ghetto mod #694 - even MORE passenger room!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
amarider said:
Why would you remove the back seat or unplug the wires if your just sliding the trunk back? I would understand if you were going to remove the trunk but just sliding it back?
I have done a few without removing the trunk just slide it on the back seat, move the bolts and reattach.
John remember the 4 bolts UNDER the top case that hold the black plastic part in place . They have to be moved forward to open the rear bolt holes. I guess you could balance the top case with one hand & move the bolts with the other. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts