BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
My wife finally got to try a pair of ZTechnik's Folding Passenger Armrests for the K1200LT at the MOA rally last weekend. The ones she tried out were like these ones ZTechnik | Z9501A Folding Passenger Arm Rests for BMW® K1200LT . She liked them. So my question is, has anybody ever dropped the bike with a passenger using any style of passenger armrests? Was anybody hurt from the armrests and did anything get damaged? Also please include which model of armrests you were using.
I dropped the LT at parking lot speed with my wife on back. She was using the Flip down (Eagle) type armrest. She was able to get away from the bike before it hit the ground with little trouble. At speed I can't say if the out come would have been any different. It is the trade off you make for her comfort.

zTechnik Arm Rests

Had these on for many years, and dropped too many times.
(Not counting getting caught out in a freak snow storm, down
3 times)
My wife has never had any issues just stepping off prior to the crunch.
These pivot on a slight angle which allows the passenger to step clear without hinderance.

HTH

Reactions: johnbaker15
Re: zTechnik Arm Rests

Had these on for many years, and dropped too many times.
(Not counting getting caught out in a freak snow storm, down
3 times)
My wife has never had any issues just stepping off prior to the crunch.
These pivot on a slight angle which allows the passenger to step clear without hinderance.

HTH
I'll let my wife know that there was a real world test done and it passed multiple times. :wave

There may be a down side to the arm rests. If they're of the type that are combined with the top box hinge, that's a very weak part of the top box. As the plastic ages, it gets brittle and cracks. The arm rests put an upward pressure on the bracket on the bottom of the top box and pulls away from the plastic. Here's what I did to fix the broken out hinge. Just a large amount of epoxy with screws drilled down through the bracket and into the epoxy. An auto body friend did the work (the weird looking color at the top was from the masking tape that held the black epoxy from flowing out). So far, so good...

Attachments

Hi everyone from the North of Ireland. I want to firstly say thanks for accepting me.

I have been trying to obtain a pair of Ztechnik armrests for my K1200LT without success. Tried all dealers I know in Europe and in America but it seems Ztechnik have stopped making them.

Can anyone advise of a dealer/supplier who may have a pair in stock ?

I think the Ztechnik arm rests really complement the K1200LT.

Hi everyone from the North of Ireland. I want to firstly say thanks for accepting me.

I have been trying to obtain a pair of Ztechnik armrests for my K1200LT without success. Tried all dealers I know in Europe and in America but it seems Ztechnik have stopped making them.

Can anyone advise of a dealer/supplier who may have a pair in stock ?

I think the Ztechnik arm rests really complement the K1200LT.
Reviving an old post but try here:
THE BEST FOR THE MONEY

I had Armrest on my LT & my wife & granddaughters all loved them. My wife could fall asleep at the drop of a hat & felt more secure with them. When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing. Now my 8 year old grandson is riding with me as will as my granddaughters & wife. They all love the armrest.

I'd really like to see those arm rests and how you made them. Eventually the GTL will be considered. And she will want arm rests.

I'd really like to see those arm rests and how you made them. Eventually the GTL will be considered. And she will want arm rests.
I'll take a pic once I get the bike uncovered, Wife plants are in the garage and have the BMW trapped in the corner. I managed to free the KLR so I can still ride but have not freed the K1600 yet. >:)

Muddleman! I bought my '05 LT in September and spent an exhaustive search calling and looking for the Ztechnik armrests. Muddleman armrests are great and easy to install. I am not mechanically inclined so it took me a bit longer than most. Happy with them so far.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.