BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about a set of passenger arm rests for the LT. Any feedback would be greatly appriciated, and anyone have a used set in good condition for sale, nothing in the classifieds.Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don Muddiman's armrest are awesome. They are real quality armrests which go on easily and replaces old hinges with strong, quality replacements. They are not cheap but they are worth every penny. They fold up; not swing out. I believe they are much better than the ones that swing out. Even after three years with lots of use from my bride and they still look brand new. Just google K1200LT armrests and you will find the set from Don Muddiman plus pictures. Directions are done very well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What do the passengers think of the arm rests?

Before I bought the LT, my GF said she wanted a bike she could fall asleep on the back of and not fall off...and arm rests. I found Wolfie, put her on him, talked to the dealer about adding arm rests (he was pushing the Z-Technik), he said no problem. Bought the bike, decided to drive it a bit before sinking lots of money into it.

She likes the bike as-is... I'm willing to buy 'em if she'd like 'em, but she's shown not the slightest interest since (as in... "do you want me to add arm rests?" "No").

So... Those that have added arm rests... What do your passengers say it helps/improves/etc?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
NickHolland said:
What do the passengers think of the arm rests?
Before I bought the LT, my GF said she wanted a bike she could fall asleep on the back of and not fall off...and arm rests. I found Wolfie, put her on him, talked to the dealer about adding arm rests (he was pushing the Z-Technik), he said no problem. Bought the bike, decided to drive it a bit before sinking lots of money into it.
She likes the bike as-is... I'm willing to buy 'em if she'd like 'em, but she's shown not the slightest interest since (as in... "do you want me to add arm rests?" "No").
So... Those that have added arm rests... What do your passengers say it helps/improves/etc?
I added the Z-technik pair, which I managed to find reasonably priced, second hand. I asked my wife the same questions, yet she didn't sound like she cared one way or another. She has been able to fall asleep w/ them, so I can only figure she's comfortable enough w/ them, otherwise I doubt she'd attempt to nod off w/o them/something to keep her "enclosed". I offered to take them off for our next trip, but she said not to, so I finally got a concrete answer. :D
The only real drawback of the Z-techniks is one has to lift them up out of the way every time one wants to raise the trunk lid. The Muddimans (sp?) don't have this problem.
One thing I wonder about the Muddimans is how much sound they block from the rear speakers when they're in the upright position, which I think they do automatically, though I imagine the sound loss is negligible.

I'm not home to mess w/ it, but I intend to mount some kind of cup holder to the underside of one of the armrests- somehow. Ideally, it will have some kind of swivel in it, in order to stay upright each time the armrest is lifted. Installing a cupholder looks to be fairly easy w/ the Muddimans. What I did on the last trip was to hang a Camelbak from the "elbow" or joint of one of the armrests, which keep it close and the drink tube easier to reach. :thumb:

If you search enough, you'll see an aftermarket backrest w/ some molded armrests, which look more like winglets. I have no experience w/ these, but they look stupid and not very functional, but YMMV.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I had Armrest on my LT & my wife & granddaughters all loved them. My wife could fall asleep at the drop of a hat & felt more secure with them. When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing. Now my 8 year old grandson is riding with me as will as my granddaughters & wife. They all love the armrest.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
katnapinn said:
...When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing. Now my 8 year old grandson is riding with me as will as my granddaughters & wife. They all love the armrest....
Those look really neat Steve. :cool: I've wondered about how successful someone would be doing the same thing on an LT. You grandson looks like he's thoroughly enjoying hangn' w/ Grandpa. :bike:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
ebear695 said:
Been thinking about a set of passenger arm rests for the LT. Any feedback would be greatly appriciated, and anyone have a used set in good condition for sale, nothing in the classifieds.Thanks
I have a set of Muddiman's in my garage that I took off my LT before i traded it. I only used them on one trip. My wife loved them, gave her a feeling of security since she often fell asleep. I have been trying to figure a way to mount them on my top box on the RT, but so far haven't quite determined if it is feasible. My wife doesn't like going on the RT so much as she doesn't feel "tied in". I have considered selling them but need to make sure I won't regret it if i could modify the mounts to make them work. Also, I live on the east coast of Canada, so not sure what shipping might cost, although i have mailed parts to a company in California that i deal with without too much problem.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are the bomb, just the info that I was looking for, thanks

Skydiver, if you think of selling, PM me, we can talk

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
ebear695 said:
You guys are the bomb, just the info that I was looking for, thanks

Skydiver, if you think of selling, PM me, we can talk

I will do that. I should try and make that decision right away so both you and i could benefit from it. I don't think it is possible to mount them well on the RT box, but i haven't given up hope, just need the incentive to look again. You have given me the incentive necessary to determine what to do with them.They aren't doing anyone any good inside my trailer. That is another thing i should look at selling, used it once on the same trip and after i got the RT my wife wasn't so enthusiastic about going so never hauled the trailer again, although i have hopes to do so. I will certainly contact you soon one way or the other.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Someone asked about the sound from the speakers if the Muddiman speakers are up and the answer is VERY, VERY LITTLE. We also have the fm app. on the cell phone. I just put SENA smh5's in our helmets so we have everything paired. For music, I play my iPod which is paired.I really like the idea of no wires connecting to the bike. After having seen both the Ztech armrests, and the BMW ones that swing out, the Muddiman's are still the better choice. Just my two cents. The wife doesn't use them all the time but if she wants to sleep, read a book or just change hand position, she uses them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Don's are the best. My wife loves them. Easy to install. Look good down and almost out of site when up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
skydiver said:
I have a set of Muddiman's in my garage that I took off my LT before i traded it. I only used them on one trip. My wife loved them, gave her a feeling of security since she often fell asleep. I have been trying to figure a way to mount them on my top box on the RT, but so far haven't quite determined if it is feasible. My wife doesn't like going on the RT so much as she doesn't feel "tied in". I have considered selling them but need to make sure I won't regret it if i could modify the mounts to make them work. Also, I live on the east coast of Canada, so not sure what shipping might cost, although i have mailed parts to a company in California that i deal with without too much problem.
skydiver if ebear695 doesn't want your muddiman's let me know i am interested.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Me dear wifee loves the Muddimen's. Makes her feel secure. Little does she know.

·
Registered
795 Posts
katnapinn said:
...When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing...
I have been looking at Goldwing armrests wondering if they could be adapted to the LT, so far I think the answer is probably but I am too cheap to pull the trigger, anyone rigged them up to the LT? I like the idea of adding a little chrome to the big gal, plus they are relatively cheap and widely available used.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If anyone has the Ztechnik armrests, I have a set of replacement pads for sale in the classified section at a very good price compared to the $78 EACH Ztechnik charges. We no longer have our BMW, but as a passenger, I really enjoyed these armrests.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife finally got to try a pair of ZTechnik's Folding Passenger Armrests for the K1200LT at the MOA rally last weekend. The ones she tried out were like these ones ZTechnik | Z9501A Folding Passenger Arm Rests for BMW® K1200LT . She liked them. So my question is, has anybody ever dropped the bike with a passenger using any style of passenger armrests? Was anybody hurt from the armrests and did anything get damaged? Also please include which model of armrests you were using.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I found a set of used ztechnik armrests for a great price. My wife loves them. There is also muddleman armrests which are great ,but hard to find.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts