BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to post this in the forum from which all others were born, rather than the Bike Talk forum (where it mighta fit).

Y'all are aware of Jack Homesley's gallant offer to put Tony A.'s beautiful blue LT back on the road - following a stop-running event during a ride that Tony and son were on. The finished product is shown in this thread. Major kudos for Jack!! I know he'd rather I not say that, butt "that's the way it is" in this 'pass it forward' culture a lot of us live in.

I'd like to add another event that has gone unnoticed except for the local yokels around my 'hood, and Curtis and Dave and the other attendees at CharlieVT's Final Drive tech session month or so ago.

Ole Toad's final drive went south this past summer's end. I posted about that; noting that during a routine lube change, a coupla fingernail clipping-sized silver bits were on the magnet!! I opted to complete the fluid change and ride ole Toad for a few miles and change fluid again and see what happens. Went to the weekly Friday am coffee klatch - no problem. Rode another three miles to shop at a Lowe's and noticed some fluid splatter on the rear rim. Opted to limp it home (maybe 12 miles or so), butt the chatter and clatter were enough that I parked ole Toad in our storage unit, which was on the route.

And just as a side remark in someone else's thread, I lamented the fact that it was the third time the thing has failed; this time taking out the seal and leaking most of the lube out. Well, lemme tell ya about a shocker of a PM I received shortly thereafter! Yep - another *Pass it Forward* event in the making. Curtis Middleton (CharlieVT) up in Vermont asked if I'd like a free 'fix' to ole Toad's unit, or a swap out for a spare he had already repaired!!! I wuz bumfuzzled, to say the least; and thought WOW --- (well, actually, I didn't know what to think!!). I didn't wanna hurt his feelings by declining a most gracious offer, and if I accepted, I didn't want Curtis to be out one cent because of ole Toad's 'event'. During several PMs which followed, we came to an understanding ;) and I packed up the FD and prepaid for return shipping and off it went to VT. After the repair (which involved ordering some parts from Germany, in order to finish it up after the tech session), Curtis sent me a parts listing of everything, along with the calculations he used to correctly install the new grooved bearing, and shims for the preloading. Those calculations were matched against the ones that were used during the previous repair here locally. By all figures, it is felt that the earlier repair was ?probably? the reason for the third failure; as the calculations were not a close match at all. Curtis is way more confident in his figures, and his installation process - bolstered by the fact that Dave (Saddleman - who is a NASCAR engine builder, I think) had brought along some major measuring devices to be used during the tech session (kudos to Dave for that generosity) and that helped Curtis confirm that his repair methods are correct and lasting. So much so, that guess what his warranty period is for ole Toad? Yup, another shocker!!!

Anyway, to wrap this up, I think all is square 'tween Curtis and ole Toad ;) and ole Toad is most appreciative of this *Pass it Forward* affliction that shows up on the forums over and over. Me and ole Toad would welcome the opportunity to provide our own *Pass it Forward* event in the future, and wanna thank all those that do so.

Y'all have the bestest of the Merry Christmas and Happy New Years Holiday blessings. Thanks Curtis.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Dick said:
So much so, that guess what his warranty period is for ole Toad? Yup, another shocker!!!
Having had the personal pleasure of working a FD transaction with Curtis, I wouldn't doubt that he delivered with a MUCH better warranty than that of the manufacturer. I believe my old FD is still serving its owner very well.
Good on ya again, Curtis.

Have fun,
Jer

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
I stopped at some souvenir shops looking for a toad to stick on your FD but I didn't find any. :rotf:

I just checked my FD last week it has 88,000 miles on it. The pre load is .0035 from the factory. The spec. is .002 to .0039. The bearing feels fine. I haven't decided to replace the bearing yet. If I do I'll take the bearing apart for inspection.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Great write up Dick. This is just another reason Curtis was awarded the "Master Mechanics" award at CCR 2009. I still go back to the saying that John Spencer came up with "Cause That's What We Do" I've learned so much from the great folks here & I return what I've learned every chance I get.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Very honestly....ain't it good to just hear good news from time to time? I think so.... ;)
Amen Brother!!! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Great work by you all and very generous indeed. The people I have met here is probably the biggest reason I still ride a BMW.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Have to say Tracus and I had the pleasure to meet and ride with Curtis and his lovely wife this past summer. It was a wonderful time meeting this couple for the first time. Just fantastic people who shared a good bit of time with us, shared some stops with us we probably would not have seen, and rode us a long way towards our next destination :wave

I was going to haul a new final drive up to have him check but decided I would wait. I have way more faith in his technique then any BMW shop.

All you have to do is meet him and it becomes apparent. Then add in he enjoyed the challenge of arriving at a repeatable procedure for the FD.

I was very pleased and happy for him to read that he received the award from CCR .

It was a real pleasure to ride with him also, even him two up, I could not stick with him all the time. He can ride an LT for sure. Good thing he knows a thing or two about FD :rolleyes:

I wonder if BMW really reads these Forums? If you do BMW, call Curtis, he can help you guys out a bit on this situation. I am sure if you flew him and his wife over, first class and Five Star, give him number 1 off the new LT line, he could train your guys to set them properly on the new ones :rotf:

Pay it Forward is a great creed, or conduct, or just plain manners way I was raised. Nice to see it still remains.

I am in the Anonymous Book, the GS-911 registry, and if called upon I will do my best.

Dick, life is good, and truly nice of you to share one of the reasons with us.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
D.Kinsey said:
Amen Brother!!! :thumb: :thumb:
x2...........Great write up Dick; and to Curtis, whom I have P.M.'d a time or two myself; looking forward to meeting all you guys some time...............will be stopping in as usual and hoping from warm sunny western Wyoming that you all have great and merry Christmas and New Year season...................Keep the Faith ...........all of you................Jim :cool:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi, all, let me join the love fest as well.

Curtis repaired my FD, too! A gentleman and a mechanic!

As mentioned in one of the previous posts, he did find that my drive was not shimmed correctly, either.

Thanks a lot! Robert.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Thank you Dick and I have to add that posts like these are why I am a member of this group and Dick, you need to be added to this list of "Pay it forward" as well.

Dick has sent me "Gratis" some things I was looking for on this site without asking for anything but a "Pay it forward" if I have something of interest to another member.

Kudos to all mentioned here and the blessings of all the Holiday Spirit be with you all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dick Largen
&
Jack Homesley

Without a doubt two of my favorite guys on this site. Great story, Dick. My best to ya both!

David

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thanks Dick for the post, guys like you, Jack, and Curtis are what make this community more than just a website about BMW's, it is a real family!

·
Registered
533 Posts
To put it simply “We Take Care Of Our Own”

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: It's stories like this that people do not hear about. Thanks Dick for the writeup.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Great write up Dick. I agree with the good to hear good news too!!!

There are so many people on this list who have helped me (with my special skills with tools I need all the help I can get :rolleyes: ) with my scoots, both locally, at at CCR. It really is a brotherhood we share and if there is help needed, all one need do is ask.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts