BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,062 Posts
That is about it if you want the BMW part. May be able to find at a bearing vendor. I think Contry Wide (replaced the old Chicago BMW) is offering a 20% discount. You will need a new seal as well if you were leaking oil. The cage often fails and cuts up the seal. If you have two shims, a thick and a thin you will most likely be able to toss the thin one and find the remaining shim is just right for the preload.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
if the bearing has a number on it (not BMW number) you can go to any bearing supply company and they will get it for you

my /2 FD big bearing over $100 at BMW cost $16 at a bearing company, I use Canada Bearings up here - the numbers are written on with a laser and any manufacturing company could have made any bearing you buy - they all make bearings for each other - used to know people on the manufacturing side of the business

NOT trying to start a bearing thread which could be just as entertaining as an oil thread

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
gary45 said:
if the bearing has a number on it (not BMW number) you can go to any bearing supply company and they will get it for you

my /2 FD big bearing over $100 at BMW cost $16 at a bearing company, I use Canada Bearings up here - the numbers are written on with a laser and any manufacturing company could have made any bearing you buy - they all make bearings for each other - used to know people on the manufacturing side of the business

NOT trying to start a bearing thread which could be just as entertaining as an oil thread

:worthless

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
cannot show pics of the /2 crown bearing - that was before digital cameras 25 years ago - it was a large diameter commercial machinery bearing that BMW must have felt could take the side car forces should the bike be used for that - had a sidecar frame - would be interesting to compare it to a LT crown bearing - I do remember it had quite large diameter ball bearings - it was a double sided swing arm so it had wheel bearings as well

mine became pitted after about 200K miles

when I replaced all the bearings in the /5 transmission that I modified the bike with, I ordered them thru Canada Bearings as well - they are an electric motor bearing supply house but any bearing supply should be able to order any bearing you require if they want the business

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
If I remember right some one on this site bought the crown bearing from a bearing company & the ID was on the tight side.

The *** number is 61917.C3 The .C3 part of the number is what I have not been able to find.

I'm hoping in the next few weeks to go to a bearing supply Co. here in Charlotte & see if I can find the exact bearing. They close at the same time that I get off work and I have to wait for a slow day so I can leave early.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
make sure you get the c3 - all the digits are critical - if no one in North America stocks it faster
to get from dealer - at least if a problem someone local to complain to

I prefer *** if can get but any company making any particular bearing makes it to the specifications for that bearing

·
Registered
876 Posts
C3 is not part of any "part number", it denotes the bearing has greater than normal internal clearance. To learn more about this subject, log onto either the *** or SKF websites. Bearing internal clearnaces are formulated and standardised across all brands (DIN Standard). For information - C0= standard clearance (may also be unmarked), C2=less than normal clearance, C3= greater than normal clearnace, C4=greater internal clearance than C3.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
http://medias.schaeffler.de/medias/en!hp.tg.cat/tg_hr*ST4_102440715

jn the chart on this page it indicates larger bearings are ussually c3 for difference in expasion of inner ring compared to outer - that is what may be required - interesting if anyone has used one with a different value

the /2 bearing had a letter after the part number which indicated the narrow version of the bearing
- if I remember right it was around 1/2 inch difference in width

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Several years ago I had the SKF regional rep in my office talking about some other bearing issues we were having at my company, and asked about the bearing for the final drive. He called the local bearing company we normally did business with and asked him to give me a good price for 50 bearings. Two days later I received the quote. It was MORE per bearing than buying ONE at the BMW dealer!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
the *** chart on that page describes the WHY

interesting that on the LT crown they use a 120mm bearing and on the /2 they used a 160mm bearing

·
Super Moderator
1,433 Posts
I hunted for other OEM bearings when I was replacing mine but when the "real"
specifications were revealed I could not find it any cheaper. Be very careful if you think
you have found an equal bearing - some of the bearing guys are just catalog hunters and
they do not offer nor have they found an equal - some select bearings based upon partial
numbers or guess at the specifications. The only bearing I would finally accept is the one
from the manufacturer that supplied BMW - could not find the same bearing in alternate
sales / distribution channels at a lower price.

Once I installed the *** bearing with the proper preload I had no issues . . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.