BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow my lovely wife is going to make a parts run for me to the big city. I am planning to change my fuel filter in my ongoing pursuit to fix the high speed miss. Can you guys suggest any other parts that I should get? I'm planning on getting the filter and some fuel line hose clamps. It is a 70 mile trip one way so I'd like to have everything on hand. Also with 10K on a 12 year old bike should I buy an air filter just in case?
Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Make sure that you get the correct hose clamps. The solid kind, not the slotted ones with the worm gear.
I still think that you should change the plug wires. Your resistance check was fine, but as stated earlier, it does not detect any type of defect while the wire is hot or under load.
You could also look at the o-rings on the injectors.
Finally, I have not heard of an air filter fixing a miss, but while you have the tank off, might as well at least check it.
Just my .02....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cochinosucio said:
Make sure that you get the correct hose clamps. The solid kind, not the slotted ones with the worm gear.
I still think that you should change the plug wires. Your resistance check was fine, but as stated earlier, it does not detect any type of defect while the wire is hot or under load.
You could also look at the o-rings on the injectors.
Finally, I have not heard of an air filter fixing a miss, but while you have the tank off, might as well at least check it.
Just my .02....
Do you have a suggestion as to OEM of aftermarket and do you have a part # or brand name?
Thanks, Robert.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'd definately be doing those plug wires...

Miss, Especially at high speed, Is usually ignition related.. When it's fuel they tend to bog instead of miss...Probably one of the wires is arcing where they come thru the valve cover cover...

The only time I've had a miss not be ignition is when a bad computer would occasionaly misfire an injector... Finally that shorted to ground and the injector was on all the time...

Good Luck,

John

·
Registered
335 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Do you have a suggestion as to OEM of aftermarket and do you have a part # or brand name?
Thanks, Robert.
I think most of the guys on this site use an OEM or similar paper filter rather than the K&N oil bath type of filter. The reason being that the filters do not need changing very often and the oil on the K&N will dry out and let contaminants pass through between changes.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tips727 said:
I think most of the guys on this site use an OEM or similar paper filter rather than the K&N oil bath type of filter. The reason being that the filters do not need changing very often and the oil on the K&N will dry out and let contaminants pass through between changes.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. What I was referring to was the plug wires.
Thanks, Robert.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Don't forget the quick disconnects on the tank. The plastic ones will break sooner or later and most likely while you are working on it............ :)

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,068 Posts
My plug wires have over 160,000 miles on them & every time I find some chafing I just clean the wire with lacquer thinner and fill the chafing with RTV Silicone and let it fully cure.. My first indication of a bad plug wire is static on the am radio.

·
Registered
241 Posts
rattler50 said:
Don't forget the quick disconnects on the tank. The plastic ones will break sooner or later and most likely while you are working on it............ :)
+1 on the quick disconnects, air filter, and spark plugs. Also, since you're changing your fuel filter, you may want to consider the hoses, too. I changed my filter this week and one of the hoses was split. Thankfully BMW is 2 minutes from me!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
While you have the left side cover off, try a little mist of water on the wires in the dark. If you have a bad wire you WILL be able to see it. Of course if you drown it that would not help. Keyword is mist.

·
Registered
321 Posts
For your hose clamps ask for the "fuel injection" clamps. If you are replacing the hoses in the tank you will need to specify submersible fuel injection hose. If the guy behind the counter doesn't know what you are talking about, ask for someone else or go to another store. +1 on what the other members have said.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2Wheelroadtrip said:
For your hose clamps ask for the "fuel injection" clamps. If you are replacing the hoses in the tank you will need to specify submersible fuel injection hose. If the guy behind the counter doesn't know what you are talking about, ask for someone else or go to another store. +1 on what the other members have said.
Thanks, I bought the OEM clamps and a pair of Knipex brand Oetiker clamp pliers.

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.