BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

parting out

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  tmgs 
#1 ·
there may be a 2000 lt with around 55k miles on it and a new final drive getting parted out, just wondering if they are better fixing the few things wrong to sell or stripping it out for parts, thoughts?

#3 ·
tmgs said:
just wondering if they are better fixing the few things wrong to sell or stripping it out for parts, thoughts?
What is wrong with it?
Could you keep it as a spare bike?

#5 ·
Knowing the owner, it's just a bunch of little niggly problems, but he also rides a GS and just doesn't ride the LT as much.

#6 ·
Tom,

LTs don't play well with Pans in the garage. You'd better add a Knuck to the collection first to keep the peace in the stable!

#7 ·
Steve_R said:
Knowing the owner, it's just a bunch of little niggly problems, but he also rides a GS and just doesn't ride the LT as much.

well it's not my bike, and it is all cosmetics that need done, not wrecked just sat, seats, panels windshield and faded

#9 ·
well let me add a little more, it's not my bike, it is a friends bike and I have offered to strip it and sell it or try to sell it as a whole, but it would probably bring more stripped, as it needs seats, side panels, back rest all are shot. And they will not be riding any longer.

#11 ·
Re: parting o

I have a perfect set of 02 seats and backrest that really have to go. I changed them out 6 years back and they have been in the basement since. Its a start if someone bought the bike. Seems a shame to strip a running bike for the cost of a few parts, especially an LT.

#12 ·
What color?
Are the mirrors available?

How much for the whole bike?

Thanks

#13 ·
If it still runs and is road-worthy, maybe I should buy it and make a RAT LT out of it. A few rattle cans and she'll look like new. ;)

Steve_R said:
If you really knew the "presumed" owner, you'd know Tom's LT has a wee bit more than 55K on the clock.

#16 ·
I'll vinyl wrap it and not worry about the paint color.

#18 ·
No this was not my LT, I sold my lt some time ago with 154 or 157k miles on it(I forget now) there are two bike I really wish I had never sold (ok there might a few others over the years) but the two that I should had kept were my '65 Pan and my K1200LT

to answer a few questions, yes it is all there, the body panels are in good shape but paint is faded, I do not recall the bike ever being dropped, not saying it hasn't I just do not remember him ever saying he did, I will be sure the mirrors are good

The windshield is bad, all the leather is bad, so the seats back rest panels on the side body are all bad so even to make a "rat" (like Jo mentioned) out of it, it would have to have all the material replaced, there is nothing to work with as we think a dog or **** or something had literally tore the seat apart and the rest the sun finished off, the heated seat element is trashed there is nothing but seat pans there,

the bike has been sitting right at two years now not run, I know the bike it was a good bike and well taken care before, it got left outside, I should had gone down and covered it for him or moved it to my place and stored the bike,

selling it as a whole bike would be an option,
soirry it took me so long to get back to you about this,

between him and I being busy we are kind of hard to get hold of,

#20 ·
Tom,

I am interested in both mirrors please. Do you have any pictures of the whole bike?

PM Sent also.

Thanks,
Glenn

tmgs said:
No this was not my LT, I sold my lt some time ago with 154 or 157k miles on it(I forget now) there are two bike I really wish I had never sold (ok there might a few others over the years) but the two that I should had kept were my '65 Pan and my K1200LT

to answer a few questions, yes it is all there, the body panels are in good shape but paint is faded, I do not recall the bike ever being dropped, not saying it hasn't I just do not remember him ever saying he did, I will be sure the mirrors are good

The windshield is bad, all the leather is bad, so the seats back rest panels on the side body are all bad so even to make a "rat" (like Jo mentioned) out of it, it would have to have all the material replaced, there is nothing to work with as we think a dog or **** or something had literally tore the seat apart and the rest the sun finished off, the heated seat element is trashed there is nothing but seat pans there,

the bike has been sitting right at two years now not run, I know the bike it was a good bike and well taken care before, it got left outside, I should had gone down and covered it for him or moved it to my place and stored the bike,

selling it as a whole bike would be an option,
soirry it took me so long to get back to you about this,

between him and I being busy we are kind of hard to get hold of,

#21 ·
he has decided to sell the whole bike outright, it is a parts bike with 55k on it I think, the bike ran great but was left out, so all the seats backrest knee pads are shot, junk kaput

you can drop me a pm if your interested one other buyer just never got back with us about it, engine trans final drive, electronics body panels are not cracked or damaged but faded, they would need painted I'm sure,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.