BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
I acquired a 2002 LT with 58,000 miles on it. It needs a clutch slave cylinder and clutch. I have a clutch that I kept from a previous LT, so parts to do the job would be at minimal cost. However, it is also missing the mirrors, rear seat and trunk. I got it for free and my thought was to get it running and sell it.

Now I'm wondering if parting it out would be a better use of my time. Has anyone parted one of these out and did it work out financially speaking?

Thanks,

GB

·
Registered
832 Posts
I guess the big problem with parting it out is that it's still a lot of work and you then have all those bulky parts you need to store somewhere until you sell them and lets face it you aren't going to sell all the parts and it could take quite a while to find buyers for the parts you will sell.
If it's mechanically sound, except for the clutch of course. And if the body work is in good presentable condition you could opt for getting a set of mirrors and a rear seat and you could forget about the trunk and sell it as a bagger style LT. A few of us here have been happily running around without the trunk, I have only just put mine back on after about three years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks
I acquired a 2002 LT with 58,000 miles on it. It needs a clutch slave cylinder and clutch. I have a clutch that I kept from a previous LT, so parts to do the job would be at minimal cost. However, it is also missing the mirrors, rear seat and trunk. I got it for free and my thought was to get it running and sell it.

Now I'm wondering if parting it out would be a better use of my time. Has anyone parted one of these out and did it work out financially speaking?

Thanks,

GB
Do you want to sell the whole bike?

·
Registered
211 Posts
...also missing the mirrors, rear seat and trunk...
Don't know whether parting it out is worth it, you're also missing 2 items (mirrors and top case) that would probably sell quickly. To help with your decision aftermarket mirrors are $100/pr and in a few days I will be selling a complete older style gray case with the wire rack on top, excellent condition, probably $300 plus actual shipping. Latch, mirror, inside compartment, liner, light, support strap, heated backrest all excellent condition, never used them but speakers probably work. Been using it on my bike after mine literally went to pieces in about every way possible. It is gray/silver and doesn't match my black bike, after getting the gray I found a used black one. After I check out the black one and assuming everything is good I will be putting that one on this weekend and selling the gray.

LT mounted top case.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts