BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed a set of shocks for my aging 2000 K1200LT (62K on the clock but still a virgin until 100K!).

I contacted Re-Psycle BMW Parts which advertises in our local club’s newsletter. They had a "new" 2004 K1200LT that was a mechanic's training bike from BMW with only 6 miles on the odo! MAX BMW's fiche listed front & rear for $1,720.62. The 2000 & 2004 part numbers are the same! I repeat the shocks have six miles on them!!
Re-Psycle offered them at $800 + local sales tax and shipping. WHAT A DEAL!

Here's the real story . . . "In early winter brought home 10 later model (1990-2005), very low mile, never wrecked BMW parts bikes, that we were lucky to buy from a closed mechanics school with an agreement that we must part them out; Before we part them out we have been getting them started, and then riding each of them to test out the drive train, ABS, and other components (videos are available). So far we have parted a 1993 R100GS with 3,000 miles, a 1999 R1200C with 36,000 miles, a 2001 R1150RT with 3,060 miles, a 2004 K1200LT with 6 miles, and a 2004 R1200GS with 3 miles. Several more late model BMWs will be parted soon. "

BMW would not allow these bike to be sold to individuals, but they could be parted-out. (due to liability?)

WHAT A DEAL and to verify, I do have lotsa Irish blood in me veins. My paternal grand dad came to New England as an infant from County Sligo!

Personal Transparency Statement. “I have no financial or other relationship with Re-Psycle BMW Parts other than being a customer”
Paul Mitchell

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
And all you really wanted was a pair of OEM shocks LOL

Reactions: PMitchell

·
Registered
716 Posts
Here's the real story . . . "In early winter brought home 10 later model (1990-2005), very low mile, never wrecked BMW parts bikes, that we were lucky to buy from a closed mechanics school with an agreement that we must part them out....

BMW would not allow these bike to be sold to individuals, but they could be parted-out. (due to liability?)
Back in high school auto mech, we had a Pontiac Parisienne (full size, rear-drive B-body). Practically like new. It was donated to the school for teaching use only. It did not have a VIN so could it never be registered.

Reactions: PMitchell

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And all you really wanted was a pair of OEM shocks LOL
Now that you mention it, I think I'll do a Total Body Examination to see what else I may need. My Dermatologist even checks (2x a year) in places where the sun doesn't shine! :surprise:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Some years back I worked with BMW R&D out of menlo park and they had a garage full of prototype vehicles that they had to destroy. One day I was in their garage and the wrecker was coming for an X-5 with V8 M in it. I begged and begged but to no avail. Sigh.....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yea. The ABS pump from that 04 LT went for $1300.00 Knew that wouldn't last long.

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at that but decided I'd deal with it, if it happens . . . $4,158.64 on the fiche!

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the shocks in two days!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Back in high school auto mech, we had a Pontiac Parisienne (full size, rear-drive B-body). Practically like new. It was donated to the school for teaching use only. It did not have a VIN so could it never be registered.
I had a 1986 Parisianne for 10 years. Finally sold it about 13 years ago. That car rode like a dream. Just floated. Got hit on the right side. I swear. The Saturn SL1 just bounced right off it. Got a new door. Body shop pulled the center post back out.Back on the road in no time.What a tank. They don't make them like that anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts