BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fighting with local dealer about having the fuel pump replaced. They confirmed the bike is on the latest recall list. Trouble is, they have 5 bikes ahead of me that have been at their shop awaiting the rapair for 4 & 5 months. I am not letting them touch my bike. Does anyone know the correct part number of the new fuel pump. What special tools will I need to pull off the ring, and do I need a new gasket/o ring when it goes together?

Any help is greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You need items # 1,6 and 9. You have to swap over your fuel level sensor from your old pump to the replacement pump. I used a strap wrench to loosen the hold down ring. Mine loosened up with little difficulty. I'm sure you realize the cost of parts if you do it yourself. I replaced my pump before the recall was extended to 2012 model years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 6SpeedTi. Yes I realize the cost of doing it myself. I commute M-Thur on the RT, and Friday on the HD. I cannot afford to not fix it myself. They wanted me to leave the bike with them, they would not put me on a list and order parts, they claim that for my safety they must take the bike out of circulation until it is repaired. I have had BMW of NA call me back 6 times regarding this dealer. Its the only one on my Island.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My dealer initially said that but after a few weeks I asked again and he ordered it. It's sitting there now waiting for me to bring the bike in. He said it would take him a day or two to work it into the rotation once I drop it off.

When I first reached out the pumps were on backorder and my dealer was waiting for ~20 or so sets they ordered to come in. Once they did, he assigned one to every bike whose owner signed up. It might be that federal rules or liability insurance coverage require them to hang on to the bikes once brought in for the work?

If I were you, I'd want official proof that the part was installed by a dealer. Maybe go in there and buy the parts (order them really), and bring your bike in when they show? It stinks that you don't have any other dealer choices. I was going to bring mine to the next closest dealer about 150 miles away when my dealer initially said that.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I suggest if it is not leaking right now, wait it out until your dealer can help you. Expensive and will not be under warranty if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My dealer here is SoCal said those pumps are back ordered. Said if I’m not smelling gasoline, bike should be fine until it comes in. It’s been at least 2-3 months. I even ordered the fuel level sensor, because mine is going a little hanky. Who knows when they’ll be in…. \0/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My dealer told me that BMW will reimburse me the cost of the fuel pump if you replaced it for the failure listed on the recall. In my case the 2012 model year was not covered when mine failed.
Now it is and when ever I get it scheduled to have it done even though my pump is two years old BMW will cover a replacement pump and reimburse me for the pump I replaced. The importance of saving receipts can not be stressed enough in my case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts