BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you drive an LT very much, you have developed your own parking lot strategies -- where to park, where not to park, how to plan your exit strategy, when to use the center stand and when not. How to handle gravel, slopes, rough surfaces. How to prepare for traffic both entering and exiting a parking area so you don't get caught in an awkward stop that could topple the hippo. I'd love to hear from people what there strategies are, what they try to avoid at all costs, what they look for, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I usually park on a handicapped person.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I park on either level ground or facing up a slope, leave it in first gear, and make sure the side stand is down and forward all the way.

I never use the center stand. Guess that is because I've tried to keep here up as she slowly went down. Trying to get her up on the center stand just trigers the feeling that she is on the edge of going OVER.

Bob 00LT

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Plan ahead

Howdy...........

I just plan ahead. I guess I learned that from driving a semi truck afew years back. One can't just park one of those without some thought as to getting back on the road.

I do the same with my LT, even when entering a gas station. Plan the exit before pulling up to a pump.

NEVER park headed down hill.

Always survey the lot before landing and park so it's an easy out.

With a little practice one can tell if the slope is to steep to use the side stand.

I NEVER use the center stand except for servicing the bike.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Parking

Park so you do not have to back out. I always find a couple of empty spots and turn the motorcycle so I am facing out of parking lot.

If it is a parking lot, as a mall, I always or try to park through the space so again I am facing out.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
BecketMa said:
I park on either level ground or facing up a slope, leave it in first gear, and make sure the side stand is down and forward all the way.

I never use the center stand. Guess that is because I've tried to keep here up as she slowly went down. Trying to get her up on the center stand just trigers the feeling that she is on the edge of going OVER.

Bob 00LT
You should practice with the centerstand, and if possible get someone to stand on the other side of the bike to "spot" you in case you get it overcenter to the right. Once you get the feel of it, and have the method of putting your weight down on the stand and lifting a little, you will find that it is a lot more stable than you think now. When putting it up, when you put enough pressure down on the arm, you can easily feel when both feet are on the pavement, then just continue the process.

I almost never left the LT on the sidestand, only used it to get off the bike, then immediately centerstanded it. I did use the sidestand a couple of times on sloped surfaces when there was no level spot for the centerstand. That was very rare though. The bike is a lot more stable on the centerstand in my opinion, and you don't get the exhaust smoke on startup as you often do on the sidestand.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
vernvernvern said:
Howdy...........

-----------------------------------------------
I NEVER use the center stand except for servicing the bike.

Practice, Practice, Practice.
I was the opposite, almost never left the LT on the sidestand!

As I said in in the previous post, I would suggest that you apply your Practice, Practice, Practice to the centerstand. On reasonably level ground I feel the LT is much better parked on the centerstand.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
As I am pulling into the parking lot, I have already given great thought to the layout of the lot and where and how to park.

What's funny is when I am on a group ride and everyone is parking, I usually park somewhere else! They think I am being snobbish!

I tell them that BMW's have special parking privileges.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I always use my center stand because I have the power one. I think you will find the 05 and later to use the center stand more.

Bruce

·
Registered
339 Posts
I usually park in a regular parking spot, and always use my center stand. I just make sure not to pull all the way up to a parking curb, so that anybody that wants to zip into what was a seemingly empty spot can see the LT before they decide to do so.

Never put the bike on the center stand when it's pointing uphill...you can only do this once, as I have learned. ( manual stand).

If it is a sandy or soft parking area, I'll ride 3 blocks away to find a hard point to park, just dont like the idea of walking away from the bike and coming back to see it laying on its side.

If I see a scooter close by, I will park out of the line of sight from said scooter. LOL

·
Registered
385 Posts
If I'm parking on gravel or asphalt softened by the sun, I always use the side stand. I keep a 4" round metal plate in my tank bag & always use it under the side stand. If I'm on a hard level surface, I will many times use the power center stand.

I don't pay much attention to parking on a downward slope anymore since my bike has the power reverse. I just put it on the side stand, make sure the bike is in gear & then I roll it as far forward as I can.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Trade for an RT, all those problems go away..:D

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
never had a mishap

dshealey said:
I was the opposite, almost never left the LT on the sidestand!

As I said in in the previous post, I would suggest that you apply your Practice, Practice, Practice to the centerstand. On reasonably level ground I feel the LT is much better parked on the centerstand.

I ride almost every day and never had a side stand mishap. Absolutely no effort required to put the side stand down, roll forward in 1st, and lean it over.
The center stand is nothing but WORK to me both going up and getting it down. Guess I'm just plain lazy. Anyway, the side stand route works just fine for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
parking lot strategies

I do commute to work daily on my bike and experience multiple parking lots. By the way, I'm starting to get refused entry to some covered garages they say it's because bikes set off all the car alarms. I agree that the exit strategy has to be considered upon entering any lot. Most of time the lots I use are asphalt and the surface is irregular. Beware of dips (yikes, that water's deep!) and speedbumps, which remind you the skidplate is there for a reason. In the summer, be aware that the hippo will sink in soft surfaces incl. asphalt at even moderate temps. I carry the cover from an electrical junction box and put it under the sidestand if I park it that way. Sometimes you can find a cement footing. Using the center stand 99% of the time, although the one and only almost dump was taking it off the center stand and not being on the bike.
'05 KLT lt. yellow
Sacramento area

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gee I just ride up, find some empty looking space, slow down a little and step off. When the bike finally stops moving and all the noise is over with, I walk over and remove the key! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts