BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member first post. Just purchased a 2012 RT with radio and Nav IV. I have basically come to the assumption that I will go with the schuberth helmet and the bmw headset.
Wife does not want the schuberth helment. She will be going with a different helmet which leads to a different headset for her. Is it possible to maintain full functionality with the system if I have a BMW headset and her headset is ie. a scala G4. She does not need to hear the the GPS but I want her to be able to hear the music and be able to communicate also. Assistance is appreciated.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My understanding of the audio manual for the RT says that you can pair both headsets to the RT radio only if you use the BMW headsets. With other headsets you can only pair one headset to the radio. I could be wrong, if someone would like to point it out.

·
Cat Herder
1,585 Posts
Here's the scoop... (because I have the same system)

The BMW BT sets up perfectly to the RT. (and stays connected) The driver can hear the radio and GPS and your cell phone. The thumb control on the left handlebar controls the audio in the BMW helmet. Works very nicely. Will not work with the Scala.

The Scala system will hook up in the Helmet 2 position. They will hear the same music and be able to hook up their own cell phone and they can BT music from an iPhone or iPod to the Scala BT system. The Helmet 2 position can not hear the GPS

THE PROBLEM... you can not sync the two different brands together. You will not be able to talk to each other.

The new Schuberth helmets for women are very very nice. I think it is the best helmet you can buy. I'm surprised your wife doesn't want one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I both have Nolan N103 with n-com Bluetooth. Only one helmet can be paired with the BMW radio. This is a limitation done by BMW, as I was told by the dealer. Even the volume control on the handlebar is disabled when not using BMW helmets/Bluetooth. If my wife also wants listen to the radio, it have to be done by wire between the helmets as mine is paired with the radio.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would not buy anything until you fully research this topic and find the helmets / blue tooth set-up that offers you everything you want.

I went through this last year when I bought my RT. I ended up with the Scala system, as it can go into any helmet. I also do not have a BMW radio on my bike.

My wife and I can talk together, but are both paired to our own phone for music and phone use. I actually like it better than I thought, as I originally thought we both needed to hear the same BT music source.

It turns out we are both happy. We got to choose the brand of helmet that suited us both best, and I can still hear my music while she chats on her phone!!

Research before buying, as there are many options out there. Be sure to find what suites you best, not what suites others best!! First figure out what you want to hook to (phone, MP3 player, BMW radio, GPS, radar, passenger) then start shopping for what units provide you with those connections. Good luck.

Alaskan

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I have a different story to report. I have a 2011 RT with full radio set up and two Shoei Qwest helmets (mine and my wife's) with Scale G4 units. Sorry to tell you guys but i have been able to hook up both G4 units to communicate with the BMW radio perfectly along with the iphones and intercom. The G4 units work with everything. In addition, the G4 units are also hooked up for music, iphone and intercom just fine all at the same time. Both helmets can hear the radio, use the intercom function and answer phone calls just fine.

Also, and here is the biggest surprise of all... the past weekend we were out riding together and my G4 headset was BT connected to my iPhone and my wife's G4 was BT connected to her Blackberry. Two different headsets and two different phone numbers. Surprise, surprise, surprise. We would have never have known it if it wasn't for a call that she got while i was on my headset on the phone with another rider.

Whatever you do don't buy the BMW headset hardware. You'll be sorry.

·
Registered
79 Posts
SoCalKarl said:
Well I have a different story to report. I have a 2011 RT with full radio set up and two Shoei Qwest helmets (mine and my wife's) with Scale G4 units. Sorry to tell you guys but i have been able to hook up both G4 units to communicate with the BMW radio perfectly along with the iphones and intercom. .........
This is the answer I tried unsucessfully to get in several threads. This is clear confrmation that G4 allows BOTH helmets to hear the BMW radio. I thought this was possible only by the BMW helmets.

By the way Sena and Intercom are not able to do this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

How come two G4’s can be used with the radio ? Do they emulate BMW BT ? Is there an update on the radio BT that allows other communications systems to be paired with two helmets ? Any one know ??

·
Registered
94 Posts
SoCalKarl said:
Well I have a different story to report. I have a 2011 RT with full radio set up and two Shoei Qwest helmets (mine and my wife's) with Scale G4 units. Sorry to tell you guys but i have been able to hook up both G4 units to communicate with the BMW radio perfectly along with the iphones and intercom. The G4 units work with everything. In addition, the G4 units are also hooked up for music, iphone and intercom just fine all at the same time. Both helmets can hear the radio, use the intercom function and answer phone calls just fine.

Also, and here is the biggest surprise of all... the past weekend we were out riding together and my G4 headset was BT connected to my iPhone and my wife's G4 was BT connected to her Blackberry. Two different headsets and two different phone numbers. Surprise, surprise, surprise. We would have never have known it if it wasn't for a call that she got while i was on my headset on the phone with another rider.

Whatever you do don't buy the BMW headset hardware. You'll be sorry.
SoCalKarl - can you tell us the exact sequence you used to pair the Bike and the phone, and the GPS.... I have a 2012. i tried every way i could and could not get it all to pair. I could pair to the bike radio, but then could not get the phone/GPS, or could pair the GPS/phone, but not the radio... So i did the rear speaker mod, bought a BT dongle of ebay, and paired to it... I ride one up.. so I don't communicate with another unit.... but do get GPS, phone, and full function radio...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts